1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum mapping

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mms1, Aug 5, 2019.

1. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I'm just tinkering with bits and pieces on our school website and noticed our curriculum map needs a bit of TLC. In order to get an idea of what/how everyone approaches this I looked at a few other schools and found that they were many and varied in their presentation. Some school's simply had a KS1 and KS2 curriculum map which effectively summarised the Nat Curric whereas others have produced numerous tables with progression charts and maps for individual subjects. I also looked at Chris Quigley's website which produces a nice looking document but again simply ticks off the NC.

My question is what are you folks doing? I would like our map to look individual to our school and the needs of our community, as it stands it's very much a template of the NC split into terms.

Forgive me if the answer is obvious - I'm still on a near vertical learning curve!

Thanks in advance.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have ensured we have covered the NC objectives but also other ( mainly history and geography) topics which are relevant to the local area and our pupils. So we have additional topics looking at local history and geography, links with other countries ( due to the demographics of our intake), topics on democracy and "British Values" ( again because of the circumstances of the area we are in). These are all mapped on a 2 year rolling "curriculum map". We then have key skills progression documents for pretty much each subject which focuses on the specific skills taught in each year group/key stage. This isn't NC based but looks at wider skills too. In essence, the curriculum map shows what is being taught, the progression map shows the skills we want the children to develop whilst doing so. It's still a work in progress however!

3. mms1

Hi Carrie,

That sounds really joined up and a definite improvement on mine! Whilst we cover topics that are relative to our local area and the cultural community we serve, I am not making this evident enough in the current map.

Thanks for a great first reply.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Just so they stand out, we colour-code themon the curiculum map! We have NC topics in one colour, local topics in another and cultural topics in a third ( but I'm a little sad that way!)

5. mms1

Another great idea!! Not sad at all, very useful and quick to read for those that may visit...