1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum, literally teach what you feel appropriate?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by mrGundam, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am transitioning back into the UK education system having worked internationally for a number of years. As such I was away when the UK seemed to transition from LEA schools to academies and National Curriculum syllabus changes in the ICT to Computing transition.

I am aware of the GOV resources and outlined curriculum: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ulum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study

But also it is worded as if these do not need to be taught and are flexible. Can academies and independent schools really deliver Computing topics on whatever they see fit and pay little attention to the GOV outlined curriculum?

2. dmml

dmml New commenter

Yes, although most look at their KS5, KS4 qualifications and go from there to ensure coverage and have fun at the same time.

mrGundam likes this.
  3. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

Long way from the old day of National Curriculum sample lessons!

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"I am transitioning"

Sorry, I didn't have time to read your whole post but I'm sure you'll think of some topics your students will find fascinating :)