1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum Help!

Discussion in 'English' started by connie-91, Dec 2, 2016.

1. connie-91

connie-91 New commenter

Hi all,

This may be a very silly question however where on earth can I find the most up to date curriculum for GCSE English?

I'm due to start a new job soon and I will be teaching both Functional Skills English and GCSE English. I'm fine with the Functional English as this is what I am currently teaching however I was wondering where people grab the most recent curriculum outline from?

The only one I can find it on the DfE webpage and it's dated 2014!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You need to find out which exam boards they use at your new job, and download the exam board specifications for the qualifications you'll be teaching.

Will you be teaching Language or Literature or both at GCSE?

Do you actually have a PGCE, by the way? Do you have any knowledge or experience of GCSEs?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. connie-91

connie-91 New commenter

Thank you. I am waiting for them to get back to me with regards to the exam board they are using. I was more looking for perhaps a document upon which the exam boards base their specifications on.

I have PTLLS Level 4 and extensive experience of teaching Functional Skills, which I am aware is quite different from GCSEs. I will be starting my DTLLS or Cert Ed soon. Why do you ask?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

That is the most up-to-date curriculum. It was published in 2014, teaching of the specifications based on it began in 2015 and the first results will be issued in 2017.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. blueskydreaming

Was just thinking about what sort of support you're going to need, coming into the GCSE for the first time. If you're working in FE it's quite different to secondary isn't it, in terms of how people work in a department (that's the impression I get, anyway, sorry if that's not correct).

The 2014 document is the current one for KS3 and for the new GCSEs in Lang and Lit - teaching on these new GCSEs began in Sep 2015, so current Y11 will be the first cohort of sit the new GCSE.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. connie-91

connie-91 New commenter

I think I'm going to be featuring on the TES community a lot from now on because, as you said, it's a completely different ball game! I'm going to be working in a college so I'll still be in a similar environment however the GCSE aspect will be completely different.

Excellent! That helps a lot! Thank you so much! :)

pepper5 likes this.
  7. blueskydreaming

Make sure you read the examiner's report for the exam board you'll be teaching, which will be published some time in summer after the 2017 exams. As 2017 is the first cohort, and there are questions and concerns about grade boundaries and such at the moment, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out and see what issues come up in the report.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi connie-91

The advice regarding the exam board's syllabus is sound; you will need to know the set texts and, if you haven't read them, you will need to prioritise your reading if you are teaching Literature.