1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum gaps mean English teachers are forced to teach other subjects

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 5, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

English teachers are covering history and RE in their lessons to provide their pupils with sufficient background knowledge for the core texts:

‘English teachers are “wasting time” by having to teach “large chunks of material” to fill in gaps in their pupils’ knowledge which should have been taught in history or religious education, a curriculum expert has said.

Christine Counsell highlighted English teachers having to teach 16th-century history to prepare their pupils for Shakespeare, as well as one school where students studied Animal Farm for GCSE even though they had no knowledge of the Russian Revolution.’

What are your views about this issue?

https://www.tes.com/news/english-teachers-wasting-time-teaching-history-and-re

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Is this a new thing? The specific history required to understand the literature of the past has probably rarely been taught in schools.

3. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Is this unusual? I sometimes have to teach algebra to my classes, and quite frequently some history where it intersects with science. If there's a gap that's getting in the way of the lesson you just cover it.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't get me started on ML teachers having to explain grammar concepts again and again!

agathamorse and SomethingWicked like this.
  5. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I often have to teach my maths and science students English as they cannot understand the questions.

6. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I had to teach fractions to my Year 8s so that they could work up how many quavers / semi-quavers would make up a rhythmic pattern. I assume they had been taught them before (probably many times) but they weren't able to apply the knowledge using basic arithmetic. I've also had to teach roman numerals to my GCSE class so that we can analyse chords - again probably re-teaching something they've forgotten.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This happens when teaching literature from the past. I quite enjoy it. It is much easier then to put it on context. I'm sure every English teacher on teaching something like London, William Blake, will give the history around it too. It adds depth, meaning and extra interest to the lessons.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The answer is to give history teachers as much time as Maths or English has in the timetable...and I'm sure they'll be happy to cover more of the past that other subjects want!:D

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Amazing that results keep going up then.

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

After Mrs C, an MFL teacher, complained that she had to teach 'telling the time' to classes before teaching them the Spanish/French/German I had a quick purge on my classes and discovered that half of them couldn't do it.

Then again a lot of my classes can't remember what they did last lesson/yesterday/last week...etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Is this a version of the old staff room whinge (if anyone remembers what staff rooms are?)

My subject is easily the most difficult and hardest working in the school

12. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

The headline should say:

English teachers shocked when asked to broaden their curriculum.

Maths teachers complain about marking for literacy whilst RE teachers don’t understand why some of their year 10 students can’t even read even though they have 5 lessons of English per week.

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

My child has been looking at Dickens' "Tale of two cities" in History this week - perhaps it works both ways!

14. TonyAllen123456

TonyAllen123456 New commenter

Once taught a kid with a Rolex who couldn't read it!
    Inner city North not a posh school.
    Still, he had a Rolex and I didn't.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.