1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curriculum For Excellence and Primary Drama!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by DoraDrama, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi there! I am new here and I am trying to understand how things in Primary Education work, and especially on drama. Is there a general instruction plan by the Curriculum for Excellence provided specifically for drama in primary education and its practice or is it based on each teacher?s volition and school's priorities? Is there any analytical plan for any of the subjects? What I am trying to say is that I am wondering if the Curriculum For Excellence and the Scottish Executive provide any guidelines and/or supporting materials for teachers in order to facilitate and assure its implementation and achievement of aims. Thanks!

2. I am having to hold back on the cynical responses which popped into my head when I read your post. Oh how I wish that there were indeed CfE "guidelines and support materials for teachers in order to facilitate and assure its implementation and the achievement of its aims" but I am afraid that the reality is that there are hundreds (thousands?) of us beavering away in every part of Scotland trying to work out just what Curriculum for Excellence should actually look like. I know the party line is that CfE should not be "top down" in its structure but my impression is that schools are crying out for more guidance in all curricular areas, not just drama. However I don't think it's going to happen, so although it's not quite down to each individual teacher's choice it is pretty much up to each school to devise its own programme based on CfE experiences and outcomes. I realise that's probably not the answer you were looking for but I think it's the case.