1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Currently studying for OU maths degree, how best to source school vacancies

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pipipi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Agencies have lots of contacts BUT they take a big welcome fee (which the school pays but maeks you less attractive than nonagaency) and often they just fax your details to schools where its easy just to dumped in a bin.

Best to contact schools direct. Explain you are interested in teaching maths. Can you come and look round etc. I'm sure if you try 10 schools then you'll get some response, but it might not be 3 hours with HOD! If you are that keen to teach etc, then you ought to find time to do that.
    Timewise it might be better to wait for summer when Yr11s have left and everyone has more time, but then you may well want to know before then
    best wishes

2. Ditto
    IMO just apply for jobs as an instructor/Unqualified teacher and do a GTP once in the position.
    I feel doing a do full tie then doing a GTP is beneficial for many teachers in the current climate. I personally would not do a PGCE unless (i) You want to teach overseas or (ii) You are an undergrad who would stay on at uni

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I wish you all the best. When I was helping at the Train To Teach event earlier this month I heard so many stories of people who had tried literally every school in their area just to get a day's observation only to be knocked back. So I'm really pleased you've found a school to do your SAS placement.

I can't offer any magic advice; but top tips would be: find out the names of the Head of Maths and the person responsible for PGCE/GTP/other placements. Write to them direct, rather than phone, and be realistic about what you'd like - one day, one week, whatever.

It won't be easy, but that's the fault of school swho just don't seem bothered about giving people a chance to experience life in the classroom. Let us know how you get on. And enjoy your SAS!

4. Who knows? well you know...or could know by phoning and writing to them all.
    IMO the education sector is awful for responding to peoples applications or letters and often you have to be very proactive before you feel you are not wanted. My first school I went in with a letter for the head and waited in reception until they were free to talk to. I got an opportunity nd have never looked back.