1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current value?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Jun 30, 2011.

1. If a ring was valued at £325 in 1999 what would that be worth now?
    I realise that the ring may be worth less or more but I'm just interested to know what £325 would be worth today.

2. Dont know what 1999 £325 would be in 2011.
    Gold has shot up shed loads ?
    Not much help really.

3. Only a reputable valuer can tell you that.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

£1 in 1999 is about £1.35 in todays value so £439ish x

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've seen articles which tell you that £xxxx in 1872 would be worth £xmillion today. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.
    In 1999 £325 seemed like quite a lot of money - I just wondered what the equivalent might be now.
    (Have been going through some papers and found an insurance valuation for a ring - just wondered about the money. I will get the ring valued again though - it was my great granny's.)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well...that's not very exciting, is it! I thought it would be more.
    [​IMG]

7. littlemissraw

I know with the price of chocolate bars, the bus and cans of pop compared to 1999 you'd think it would be far more! Sorry x

8. Currency values change daily, depending on what banks are doing with money and inflation rates and anyway demand for goods - you can only expect a prediction, not the actual value.

9. Was the ring bought for that in 1999 or is that just what it was valued at then?
    I know absolutely nothing about it, but would imagine that the value would depend on more than just the gold - it would also depend on the style, current trends, stones etc too :s

10. littlemissraw

Also most jewellery is marked up by 150-200% from my short time at a jewellers.
    X

11. Hello! Nice to see you back, doglover!
    It was a Christmas gift from my great grandfather to my great granny in 1936. 18ct gold with 5 diamonds set into platinum. It's very pretty - it's the ring my son chose to give to his fiancee (once he'd checked to see if she would like that!).

12. The age of something does not necessarily reflect in value. The value of something depends on demand.
    I suspect (could be wrong) you may want to know the value for insurance purposes - if so, you must get the ring professionally valued.
    The sentimental value is priceless - and I think it is lovely that your son has chosen that ring for his fiancee - and that she likes the ring.
    That is irreplacable.

13. I thought I'd explained.
    I'm not really interested in the value of the ring per se (will get it valued again at some point). I was just interested to know what £325 was worth today.

14. And I explained that that is not so easy to predict or say.
    At the most you have benchmarks - which are unreliable.

15. Thank you for the welcome back, Seren, I have had a lovely week in the very hot Algarve.
    There is nothing to say that the previous valuation was right when it was done in 1999.
    I am sure the fact that the diamonds are set in platinum would make it very desirable at the moment, as many rings seem to have such a setting.
    I think it is important to have precious items such as this valued, as people often underestimate their worth.
    Of course the ring is irreplaceable in sentimental terms, but it is still important to have an up to date valuation.
    Your son sounds as if he is very romantic :)

16. I see what you mean now, Seren.
    I often gaze in the windows of one of Belfast's finest jewellers, at the sparkly diamond rings - I am very fond of rings.
    I am astonished at the price of engagement rings etc these days, and I am glad I am not getting engaged now.
    I know that similar rings to those I had considered for maybe £800 - £900 in 1991 when we got engaged, are now selling for over £3000.

17. Gosh.
    My wedding ring cost a lot less than that!

18. My wedding ring was less - these were engagement rings.

19. I didn't even have an engagement ring.

20. I have an engagement ring, a wedding ring and an eternity ring.
    I have a 2nd wedding ring, that I wear on the other hand now.
    My original wedding band was very fine, due to the shape of my engagement ring, and I didn't like wearing it without the engagement ring and eternity ring.
    I got the other one, which was a bit thicker and made of white gold, and 18ct gold, to wear to work, when I couldn't wear my rings with the stones in.
    After the girls were born, my original rings didn't fit properly for a while, so I always wore the second ring, but now the original ones fit again, so I wear them on my wedding finger, and the second ring on the other hand.
    That probably makes little sense.
    As I said, I am very fond of rings.