1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

current song for primary school choir

Discussion in 'Music' started by talibecca, Mar 21, 2012.

1. My primary school choir (ages 8-11) would like to sing something 'current'. I'm not sure what to get, there are only a few older girls in the choir, mostly it is made up of younger children. Unison or simple 2 part would be preferable. I was looking at Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' but would need to alter one word. What about the lyrical content? I can't decide if it's appropriate or not. I would have thought a secondary choir would be more suited. We did a version of Take That's Rule the World last year which was a big hit, but we had more senior pupils. Can anyone suggest something appropriate - lyrics and pitch.? Preferably something i can buy already arranged as I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Thanks so much to anyone who reads and replies!!!

2. I realise there is already a thread about this kind of thing, which I have read (and watched Axis of Awesome on youtube!) however the choir I am thinking about at the moment is quite young and I'm keen to make sure it stays age appropriate. I shy away from 'pop' songs as I find it divides opinion so much within a choir (in my experience) that it starts to detract from anything positive being achieved. So -any suggestions very welcome.

3. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

If you vet the lyrics and alter a few of them, Price Tag by Jessie J is quite a good one with a good moral to the story... But it is, of course, a pop song!

4. thanks for that! My wee girl (age 6) loves Jessie J, although she doesn't really listen to the lyrics. I'll have a look for it, do you know if it's out there on sheet music? I know it's a really lazy option!

5. just to say - I've just downloaded Pricetag. I'll have a look at the lyrics later. Any suggestions for amendments?

6. I'm having the same issue, so would be very interested in the suggestions made. I find that when I allow the children to have an input into what we sing, it ends up with lots more dissatisfaction than if I'd just picked the song myself - the ones who wanted the other song start complaining lots! Or perhaps that is just my choir.
    The children love Bruno Mars and Adele but I'm not sure how easy it would be for us to do well.

7. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Count On Me, Bruno Mars....??

8. There's some arrangements on my resources, let me know if you want the Bruno Mars or the Leona Lewis (I have lost the 'I'll Be There' file at the moment). The Leona Lewis will be too hard for the ages the OP mentions but the other may be ok, you could always water the harmonies down to suit.

juliacbell likes this.
  9. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Count on me has been hugely popular with my Year 7s - it only has about 4 chords so if you listen to it enough, you can do without sheet music. Lazy song and 'when I see your face' also popular - I made them into a Bruno Mars medley.
    Jessie J's Price tag - change it to 'video shows' and you're sorted. Again, only uses 4 chords, easy to play.
    Jason Mraz 'I'm yours' is also catchy.
    Or you can get backing tracks to both from www.karaoke-version.co.uk

10. thanks! I'll be looking into all the suggestions over the holidays, at some point! I was really disillusioned again with school choir today. We entered music festival and competed a few weeks ago, did ok despite me wanting to pull out (apologies if I'm repeating myself). Some kids only saw it through to the festival because ht told them to. This week I had 7 at choir, too many wanting to enjoy the sunshine, some of them 'quit'. Meanwhile I'm supposed to have the choir singing at an end of term service this friday and I've no idea how many of them will be involved. feel like giving up again. But I won't give in just yet.

11. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Sorry to hear that you've been suffering a drop in numbers. I imagine that there will be many on this forum who have experienced the same challenges.
    I'd say go for the performance - even with 7! Public performances are a great incentive for the students to join/stay in the choir, and might attract some students who didn't even know the choir exists. Imagine being a football team that never had any matches. It doesn't matter if they lose matches to start with - this experience is what will slowly get them to the premier league!
    What sort of repertoire have they been singing so far? Is choir a strong tradition at your school? (If not, then it might take a while to build up, with easy/popular repertoire to start with, then gradually slipping in some standard choir repertoire as they begin to cope with harmonies, etc).
    Good luck!

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I've done Price Tag - really easy to harmonise, and also Firework by Katy Perry, which I have yet to harmonise to my satifaction. Both of them worked really well, and the children enjoyed them. I found a Take That one on Singup (but off hand I can't remember which one it was - one of those big chorussy ones TT like so much).
    I also taught a class You've Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story, which they liked - and years ago, when I was a ft teacher and had a long-running choir we did 'A Whole New World' from Aladdin that also went down well. There were a few on Singup from Disney films, which your littlies may like?
    If you Google school choir firework katy perry (or something like that) you'll get to this ace ace American school choir singing fabby pop/rock songs that I found inspirational.[​IMG]

13. <address>thanks to both previous comments - I've got Pricetag to have a look at properly and edit as appropriate thanks for the advice from an earlier poster!) We did 'Rule the World' by Take That last year which they really loved,and it coincided with the tour (which I went to see straight after the school choir performance that day!) - they managed 2 part harmony with a couple of primary 7 girls trying the 3rd part but they were a bit too lacking in confidence which was a shame. This year the choir is so small, and getting smaller,and from all the feedback I've had it seems the big problem is having choir at lunchtime. There's no option of having choir through the day as I'm there as class cover/McCrone cover or whatever it's called for the class teachers (I remember the days when I'd first qualified when the class teacher came in with the class to the music lessons.....). This year we had a couple of songs to learn for a local music festival not long before christmas, then after christmas we were taking part in bigger music festival and so had a set piece to learn. We chose our own second piece at both festivals but had to choose things the majority already knew from the year before. I wanted to be a bit more relaxed during the summer term without a concert or festival to aim for but some of the children in the choir are only 8 years old. I'm trying to keep the older children happy by doing something 'modern' but not sure it's so appropriate for the younger ones who I think would be happy if I just used the ''Sparkle Songs' book by Sarah Watts ! (which I really like but isn't so 'cool' with the older girls it seems). I've not been able to access Singup despite trying to register a couple of times. Need to try again, seems to be a great resource. Ok I'd better go, enough of a moan for today! My kids are off school/nursery for our Easter Holiday -and the puppy has had his first outing in snow today!! So I'd better go off and be their mum instead of having my teacher hat on. Ideas most gratefully received still, I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions. [​IMG]</address>

14. You should try some of the music from Glee. They do a great medley of Halo (beyonce) and walking on sunshine.

15. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

Morningtown Ride by The Seekers is a lovely song for children and was recently in the hit parade. Or anything by Slayer.
    Lennox

16. What makes you beautiful by One Directon and Dance With Me Tonight by Olly Murs are good ones.

17. jfanna

jfanna New commenter

Hi JennyMus, tried to access your resources via your profile, but a message comes up saying you haven't uploaded any resources... Can you help? I'm a primary schol choir leader really needing some new resources! Thanks, Julie

18. bod99

bod99 New commenter

jfanna - unless Jennymus has got permission to make the arrangement then you know it's illegal for her to pass it on to you, don't you? You can only make arrangements to use in your own school under the blanket license.
    Join Sing Up - there's lots of current/recent pop on there with backing tracks and sheet music.

19. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Hi. I have been using sing up for 6 years and it is fantastic. A small school will cost you approx £200 per year but well worth it. If not, then you can access the list of free songs. There are some excellent arrangements and current songs written for Primary and secondary now.

20. victoriawhite2002

victoriawhite2002 New commenter

HI everyone,
    First time I've been on this bit of the website. I run the choir in my infant school and we've really loved lots of the songs from Sing up. Last year in our outdoor summer concert we finished with the whole school singing " Feeling hot, hot, hot" which was a great success. We've also done "count on me" Bruno Mars which was good but my favourite was when we did "Rocking all over the world" complete with blow up air guitars!!! I need inspiration for this years carnival which has a Mardi Gras theme. Any ideas? X