1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current NQT looking to teach abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by becky_powell94, Oct 23, 2018.

1. becky_powell94

becky_powell94 New commenter

I'm currently an NQT English teacher who is looking to start working overseas next year. However, most jobs seem to ask for either iGCSE or IB experience, neither of which I have! I do have several years experience Working in schools, teaching GCSE and I have worked abroad. Just wondering if anyone managed to get a job in an international school after their NQT year and how they managed it?

2. teachingmatters1

teachingmatters1 New commenter

The general consensus seems to be that two years experience post PGCE will serve you better when applying for international schools.
    Don’t get me wrong - I understand that this may seem a hellish prospect teaching in the UK for these years. Although, it will provide you with a solid base of experience and the more reputable schools will consider an application from yourself.
    I’m in my second year and am currently applying for international jobs. I never considered teaching in the UK long term but understand the short term pain for long term gain ;)

becky_powell94 likes this.
  3. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

This question has been asked about once a week ever since I joined the forum. That was 13 years ago. The advice is always to get at least two years experience and very good advice it is too. There may not be any schemes of work in your international school, or a department leader whom you can ask for help. You may have problems adjusting to different curricula or different standards of behaviour. You need to be self-sufficient and that will only come with experience. The regulars have given advice on this many times and it is easy to find via the search facility.

Angelil likes this.
  4. becky_powell94

becky_powell94 New commenter

Thanks for the advice although I did find this comment a little disparaging and condescending. The posts you make about adjusting to different curricula, having no schemes of work and department leaders are all problems faced in English schools too, and ones I have experienced. Furthermore, I am aware there are other posts on this matter. However, I did not find them useful as they did not answer my specific enquiry - either for being much older or being from different circumstances. I know of plenty of NQT’s who have gone abroad after and even ones who have completed their NQT year abroad. However they had either iGCSE or IB experience in their English school. I am looking specifically for those who went abroad and adjusted to those whilst there, as stated. Please think about how you respond to these threads as it might put people off asking for help from the community in future.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

Don't worry about it.
    Igcse is the same as gcse in most ways, and the school will send you on training for the ib (which is not at all like A level).
    Don't not apply because of not having taught these courses.

6. sparklesparkle

Please do a search before asking a question which has already been asked ad infinitum. The community is heartily sick of this question.
    And please do not assume you know it all. If you are a newly qualified teacher then by definition you do not.

You are addressing someone who went abroad and adjusted to those, as stated. The same applies to all regular contributors. But it appears that you know better than we do and have decided in advance what kind of answer you would like.

I would also add that I am concerned your are an NQT in English. There are issues with your grammar and punctuation - for example, the phrase "either for being much older or being from different circumstances" makes no sense.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  7. sparklesparkle

And as you so experienced already, Becky Powell, born in 1994 and currently an NQT in English, you will know how foolish you are to give away so much personal information on an open forum.

Or perhaps not...

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Guys - don't snap at her. It's really not pleasant, and there are 10 years worth of posts in this forum to weed through.

Someone once said to me (long before I even thought about being a teacher) that the first five years in teaching were the most difficult - after that, you generally know what you're doing. Being just beyond that mark now I know exactly what he meant, and I still have a lot to learn!

It's for that reason that many schools don't consider teachers with less than two years experience. By that time, you'd normally have had either an exam class which has gone through the examinations (whether that's English GCSE / A level, Scottish National 5 / Higher, or the equivalent) They also need to know that the upheaval of moving abroad isn't going to faze you and you're not going to run home to the UK at Christmas. That might sound a bit patronizing, but it is true (and does happen.) The final reason is that some countries require this as part of the visa process, so even if the school's happy with you they can't (legally) hire you.

So - in your particular position - does it happen? Yes it does - I can think of teachers in my own school who were in your position. And it is possible to do your NQT year in certain schools abroad (not all - they have to be linked to one of the British schools organisations, the name of which escapes me.) You do have to think though about the stress that would put you through - even if you've done it before, living abroad still has its ups and downs, and effectively you are moving house, moving country and changing job all at the same time - three of the most stressful things you can do. If you then have to learn a new curriculum on top of that, like IB, then it's another stressor (I switched from Scotland, so I had to learn the whole thing from KS3 - IB.)

You also need to be aware that some of the schools who might hire you in your current position might not actually be the best schools - more experienced teachers (and by that, I mean with about 2 - 5 years experience) tend to find that they are able to get the schools that they want much easier. That said, if you're able to live in a hardship area for a couple of years, you have the benefit of moving on with curriculum experience (and, potentially, IB experience, which is the most valuable.)

So, I would say do your research, make sure you are finding out as much about the schools as possible, and go ahead and apply. The worst that will happen is that, this year, you get nowhere and find you have to spend another year in the UK.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  9. amysdad

*double post - sorry!*

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Please let us be nice to newcomers to this forum, ladies and gentlemen.

Dear becky_powell94, please do not be offended when I gently suggest that it might not be a good idea to use your real name on an Internet forum. (I am assuming, of course, that your real name is Becky Powell.) As you may have guessed, I am not really a hippopotamus. No, actually I am a giraffe, but I do not want everyone to know about that because they will make unkind remarks. ("What is the weather like up there?" and that sort of thing.)

Anyway, I have sent you one of those silly TES Conversation things and perhaps you might like to contact me, as I do try to help a few people who are new to international education.

amysdad likes this.
  11. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

FWIW I only had 2 years experience when I moved overseas to teach (though I had worked abroad for a few years in a different profession which helped I think) and I'd say there are definitely jobs available for people finishing their NQT year.

They may not be jobs that more experienced teachers would take either because of the schools reputation or location or salary but that doesn't mean that they will be terrible places to live or work (but some will). I suggest applying to any jobs that you might fancy but understand you're probably not the strongest candidate and might not get an interview with the schools you like and then perhaps widen your net and see what sort of offers you recieve - even if you end up in a les than perfect job it will give you another year (or two) of experience and make you seem like a more reliable candidate for other iverseas jobs afterwards.

12. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Basically less experience means lower quality schools. Maths, English, physics, chemistry and DT teachers do better than 2 a penny subjects (geography, art etc) so that's in your favour. But age is a major limiting issue. Schools are very ageist but again lower ranking schools are less fussy.

But do 2 years including your NQT year as a minimum.

IB experience can be had at 3rd tier IB schools. Many around these days as IBs QC is poor.

13. amysdad

@nemo. was just talking about that with colleagues last night! Basically schools self evaluate, IB tell them what to do, then go away for 5 years until the next review, when the schools tell them the same stuff and the cycle continues!

I wouldn't put English in the same category as Maths, science and DT, in terms of job availability - maybe just above humanities, but not by a lot.