1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current ME Packages

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cityfree, Jan 14, 2016.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hi all,

I'm looking at various posts in the ME at the moment and I am hoping that some of you may have some up to date info on current packages.

Obviously, I know there are many variables. If, however, anyone knows what an average to good package is at the moment, then I would be most grateful if you could give me some guidance (PM is fine if you don't want to post on the thread).

Thanks,
    Cityfree

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As you suggest, packages vary considerably from one country to the next and from one school to the next within the same country.

An entry level teacher can earn as little as £1,000 pcm in a poorly paying school and a top of the scale can earn as much as around £3,500 pcm.

Health care can be BUPA Gold International with all the bells and whistles to something less comprehensive which covers only the basic emergencies with a pre-pay/claim back set up.

Accommodation can be in a newly built villa in some countries to an allowance which only pays for a small studio in others. It also depends whether you are single/married and with/without children.

If you PM me with details of the schools/countries you are considering I might be able to give you a ball park idea.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

this is my very humble opinion but, watching the job market over the past couple of years it seems to me that The Middle East is definitely now in the middle to low end of available packages (there are one or maybe two exceptions to this. that American Oil school being one of them)...certainly not good enough to tempt me at least. There are still a few surprises out there, and some are in nice countries to, you just got to look closely at whats available, and what the package can afford you to do. open up your search area and you might be very much surprised.

JL48 likes this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

66 you are correct in saying that many schools in the ME pay poorly - worse than people believe.

Which places outside the ME would pay above £3,500 pcm (tax free) to a mainscale teacher?

I also agree that there are other places which might be 'nicer' than the ME (depends what your definition of 'nice' is I suppose).

5. karel

karel Occasional commenter

A few schools in Eastern Europe pay close to this amount, tax free, with full medical care for teacher and family, annual flights home, free tuition. Adding the housing allowances pit the salary well over this amount. I'm sure there are schools in SEA that pay this much or more.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Not that we are allowed to name names, but i know of 2 schools in Bangkok that pay more. Also schools in Singapore, Japan, a couple in vietnam that would come close. There are a few oil schools in Africa that pay much more, and i had recently heard of a British school in Jakata paying big bucks, but i dont know if thats true. Im sure others on here will know of more.

7. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

I have to agree with Mr Evans on this one, indeed there are more than 2 schools in Bangkok that pay this amount and more also the cost of living is lower and, I would argue, the standard of living higher. Plus one doesn't cower in a gated community awaiting an atrocity.

max5775 likes this.
  8. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

A terrorist bomb in Bangkok killed 20 people this year. I don't think safety is really an issue in many of these places compared to more 'Westernised' countries.

I think the personal freedoms is far more of an issue. I'm thinking that Thailand may be my next move. I spent a month there many years ago and found it to be a pretty special place.

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Gated Communities (compounds) are mainly in Saudi. Other ME countries have standard type accommodation within the community.

The level of personal freedom varies from oppressive (Saudi) to almost westernised (Dubai).

The non-ME schools mentioned in Thailand and Asia - are these salaries taxed?

10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Really!?
    So PDAs are now completely fine in Dubai? Or an unmarried couple living together? Or how about basic human rights for immigrant workers?

Just because you can get a drink at a bar or go to a cinema, that does not mean that personal freedoms come close to the west or even most other parts of the world. Yes, they turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff that is technically illegal, but that does not mean that it is almost westernised.

11. crimmer

crimmer New commenter

There are schools in the ME that pay well and have excellent packages (Health Insurance, Car allowance, Flights etc) but come with at a cost. The oil schools are often led by those with no education background and staff are treated like engineers! One school in particular in Dukhan, Qatar is definitely a good example of this with staff being fired without any notice and kicked out of the country with immediate effect. Look at schools that are linked to an Embassy or are ran by a British Company in order to receive the similar employee treatment that you would expect in the UK. Saudi is fine as long as you are in a compound and don't plan on venturing out too much (malls are fine as are international hotels). Like the others have said, the ME is no longer the front runner in high salaries, and it is not even in the running for most desirable places to live in comparison to schools in Asia.

revans66 likes this.
  12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

JL I was making my comments based on the expat experience. You are correct about immigrant workers but this does not impact on the experience of working there or on the package, which is what the OP was asking about.

PDAs? You can hold hands and kiss discreetly without much problem. You (quite rightly) can't e.g. have sex on the beach or walk through town with your pants down - but I don't see this as being a problem with human rights, more human decency.

You can dress how you want as long as your 'bits' aren't hanging out or you are grossly indecent - which I think is fair enough.

Unmarried couples live together and 'get together' on a regular basis with little or no hassle. Yes it is against the law, but in the 8 years I was there I don't know of anybody who was arrested or deported for this.

sara2323 likes this.
  13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

BTW to clarify I did say almost Westernised. I do see that there are areas where this is not the case regarding the politics of the region, but the expat experience is still almost Westernised - apart from the fact you generally earn a shedload more than you would in UK..... and are surrounded by an efficient infrastructure (transport, health)...... and there is little/no knife crime/gun crime... and there is no/little evidence of aggression or violence :);)o_O

14. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Thanks for your input, all. (Including the PMs). While package isn't everything and of course must be considered in addition to the school environment etc., it is useful to have a guide so you know that you aren't being underpaid.

15. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

16. Redparrotfish

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As in other threads, there are rules to follow.

As the National report states, most misdemeanours arise from a lack of knowledge of the rules in Dubai/UAE. You have to have an alcohol licence to drink at home in the UAE. It doesn't state whether or not the Syrian was a Muslim and she a non-Muslim. If so, her being with him, alone in his house is against the law, drinking alcohol is against the law. Drugs are a very definite no-no. The example of Codeine is again an exaggeration. Most people/expats in Dubai would have Codeine based painkillers in their cupboard.

The headline 'British woman arrested in Abu Dhabi for having LUNCH with a man who was not her husband' over simplifies and sensationalises the situation (that is what newspaper do).

There are going to be specific examples which indicate a non-Westernised culture in Dubai, but I stand by my comment that in the vast majority of situations, for the vast majority of expats, Dubai is a very Westernised country/Emirate.

18. Redparrotfish

Discreetly committing a criminal offence and getting away with it is hardly the same as having the freedom to have lunch with a friend legally.

JL48 likes this.
  19. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It is not illegal to have lunch with a friend.

Being in a house, alone with a married (Muslim?) who has kicked his wife out, drinking alcohol without a licence is.

This is obviously a case of each individuals viewpoint on the whole perception of 'Westernised' with regard to Dubai/UAE.

Mine is obviously different to yours, but that's not a problem, just a reality.

Out of interest RPF have you ever been to Dubai or lived there?