1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current Long-Term Supply - My job being advertised internally. Advice on applying

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Helen91, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Helen91

Helen91 New commenter

Hello,

So I am currently long term supply in a school that I love and have been at since January. (On supply after 2 years experience, a year out nannying as i struggled with the pressures of personal life and the job now back).

I have been informed that my job (the job i am currently doing and want to continue in September) Reception teacher, is going to be advertised internally. I have been made aware by other staff that I am the only person who is able/likely to apply.

I have no idea how to try and write my letter of application (this is what i have been advised i will need to do rather than a form) and use my experience of the school so far to come across in the right way.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Helen

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Can you get hold of a job description and use the headings to guide your letter?
    Also state what you have been doing at the school - building relationships with the children, parents, teaching assistants etc. Discuss the progress the students have made in the time you have had them.
    Talk about what you have really enjoyed at the school.
    Have a vision for what you would like to do next if you were appointed.
    Double-check that they only want a letter of application.
    Good luck!

Helen91 likes this.
  3. Helen91

Helen91 New commenter

Thank you so much for the quick response :)
    I have been told the job will be put up in the staff room when we get back so have been trying to write something so i have something to go and and work from so fingers crossed there will be more details. Great idea to use headings to help, I've done this a bit looking at other job applications to know what experience i can reflect on to support my statements. Hadn't thought of adding in my visions for the future so that's great. Thank you :)

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Seems a bit odd you haven't been asked to apply for it.

5. Helen91

Helen91 New commenter

I have, it will be advtised after the holidays (We go back Mon 24th) but have no idea howto try to make sure i get it. There was a SLT job recently advertised and the person currently doing the job didn't get it, so i don't want to assume its a done deal.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually I've found in a couple of Schools that is common practice so as not to raise hopes in the event they become over-confident or disappointed thinking it was a 'done deal' and then are disappointed.

To the OP basic advice is to write an application as though they don't know you. Go into detail about everything you have contributed to the School, assuming they didn't know you.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Don't assume they know what you have done and therefore neglect to mention it in your letter. Apply pretty much as you would for a job in any other school.

wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Great minds Lara! I didn't see this paragraph when I typed my response! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.