1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current issues within Primary English for subject leaders and teachers?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beckyjm2, Jun 24, 2019.

1. beckyjm2

beckyjm2 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm giving a talk on Friday to a group of subject leaders for KS1 and KS2 subject leaders for English and I'm trying to foresee what they will say are their major 'pain points' in leading, planning, delivering and assessing English at the moment in primary schools? Or any other contentious issues or difficult decisions you're finding tricky at the moment in your educational settings?

It would be so so helpful and really appreciated.

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If I were delivering that training and was asking the questions you are, I'd turn the whole session on its head and into an investigative, what do we all think are the major points we need to address leading/planning. delivering and assessing English?
    Will be more fun than listening to someone just doing a presentation on what others think may be the problems and much more targeted to your audience and therefore much more useful for you all.

3. beckyjm2

beckyjm2 New commenter

Hi @Lara mfl 05 that is my plan but I just wanted to have few things up my sleeve in case I didn't get much of a response! Thanks

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can see your point, but if you structure the activities well that shouldn't be a problem.

For example if the first activity is to get into a group and identify 3 areas which staff feel confident in
    group you should immediately be able to identify which areas need work. Get the staff to compare their replies with a list of English criteria and spot for themselves which areas are not mentioned. Then compare which staff need to get together and share their expertise with those less confident.