1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CURRENT ISSUES IN PE?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by srashid3, Jan 27, 2008.

1. hi everyone

i have my pgce interview at london met in two weeks. we have got a group discussion/essay question in the current issues in p.e.

To me this question can entail things like sport and obesity, crime, teacher/student relationship.

i'm really not sure if i'm on the right track so if anyone has any other issues/topic/links i can talk about regarding this subject it would be much appreciated.

shaf

2. hi everyone

i have my pgce interview at london met in two weeks. we have got a group discussion/essay question in the current issues in p.e.

To me this question can entail things like sport and obesity, crime, teacher/student relationship.

i'm really not sure if i'm on the right track so if anyone has any other issues/topic/links i can talk about regarding this subject it would be much appreciated.

shaf

3. Where do i start!!

PE in Schools in the schools i visit is embarrasingly poor. Teachers are put under tremendous pressure and PE has slipped down the agenda. People seem to forget the importance of PE, to every child physically, socially and emotionaly.

Lessons are dull, unimaginative and most activities are done in straight lines which bore children and more importantly is not conjunctive to learning.

Obesity, children are lazy fitness levels are poor diets are horrendous all this and the lack of quality lessons means we are neglecting this aspect of the school day.

4. thanks robo i shall definately mention those points, however if any1 may know of any new legislations/government issues or changes in curriculum it would be helpful

thanks

5. the curriculum is meant to change in sept, unlike ALL my PE colleagues throughout the land i havent sorted it yet...sicthis is an issue. most of us wont have been told how to manage this change...

or have rec'd no training/funding/time for this!

ash

6. Subject status
    What's more important participation or qualification?
    Time allocation in timetable.

7. thanks for the new leads i shall start to research them now

8. The new PE Curriculum... Due to be implemented in Sept 08 is a process model. You no longer have to teach the 6 activity areas but teach 6 key processes...

1)Outwitting opponents
    2)Accurate replication of actions
    3)Communicating ideas, concepts and emotions
    4)Performing at maximum levels
    5)Identifying and solving problems
    6)Exercising safely and effectively

Check out QCA for details.

9. great stuff searlh i hope i'm the stand out candidate as only 4 out of 20 will be selected

thanks,

10. hi im currently on pgce at london met, we had a question on interview about life long participation, so you could look at that, as in what happens after school what is there to promote pe above 16 year olds if any. Also the course is hot on every child matters(ECM) and high quality pe(HQ pe) so look them up also PESSCL strategy its about promoting and helping school club links etc. get all these in the Question somewhere.
    might want to mention rising obesity levels and 2012 olympic games.
    hope this helps.
    liz

11. thanks liz

all the best for you course

12. And of course the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow!

13. fair point broonie,

liz, my interview is with greg dyer, can you tell me what i can expect from him and any plus points i can do or say that will get me into his good books

shaf

14. Hi srashid3, I have my interview with Greg Dyer soon and I was wandering if you had any tips for me?
    Also with relation to the current issues does anyone know of any new issues in p.e?

15. how did everyones interviews go at london met???