1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Current Issues in Modern Language Teaching?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jarjarbings, Feb 1, 2019.

1. jarjarbings

jarjarbings New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm going for an interview for a PGCE, and one of the things we need to talk about are current issues in modern language teaching and secondary education more broadly.

Any ideas of what the main issues are at the minute? Or where I could find that kind of information?

Thank you!

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Modern Language Teaching-
    difficulties-
    alienation from the concept of language learning
    underfunding meaning multiple languages in one school is much rarer
    the leap from GCSE to A level means there are fewer and fewer doing languages at University level
    the new curriculum is considered too demanding for those with SEN who show an interest in language learning
    examining in MFL requires more resourcing than other subjects ie you need audio, you need speakers, you need invigilation for pre speaking prep, you need to sit four papers of two tiers of non commensurate length, it's a logisitical headache for schools
    School trips abroad to enhance learning are much harder to organise now
    Brexit may impact on availability of native speaker teachers or assistants.
    Secondary schools do not routinely link up with Primary school MFL teaching, meaning many many kids in Y7 end up doing exactly what they already know from, say, Year 4.

good things-
    the new curriculum has far more rigour and capacity to enable language learners to cope with new situations.
    some schools embrace and nurture their MFL department because they are required for an eBac
    MFL teaching can truly flourish in a multi media capacity-video, sound recording, art work, literature, computing
    MFL can be sold as CV boosting and help a student in their job search.

You need to be more proactive to be honest-you have found this forum and simply posted a question to help in your interview, but equally you could have read a selection of other posts in the forum. That would also answer your question.

fraisier, minnie me, msr2015 and 4 others like this.
  3. jarjarbings

jarjarbings New commenter

Thanks so much for your input - it helps a lot!

I have actually read quite a lot of the posts in the forum, from people breaking down, to French not being the best first language to learn etc. but haven't been able to locate the most pressing issues. If you would like to let me know how to find those, that'd be great.