1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

current issues facing art, craft and design in education

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by MrDraw, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hello good and wonderful art, craft and design teacher!!

I would really like to know what you consider to be current issues your facing in art, craft and design education.......

They can be classroom based, such as the new cohort joining secondary schools having little or no experience of arts, or having lots of art practice.

They can be concerns about the structure of art, craft and design in schools, Grove's attitude towards the arts, etc....

Would much appreciate your input here :D

many thanks

2. I have recently taken on the role of art and design leader in a primary school....the issues I feel I am facing in primary school is that the media tends to always be paint or the dreaded glitter. it seems that some primary schools are scared of using more media and branching out - this is what i am trying to overcome in my school :). wonder if thats any help.

3. Yes there are many secondary schools that are reluctant to lose the old ways for something more contemporary. i feel your pain with the glitter, it should be banned from everywhere!! :D

have you found that one problem is other subject leaders will use art to make christmas cards or make posters for other subject areas, instead of teaching pupils about why what and how art affects their lives!