1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by NorrisLucy, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hi I am also currently completing my GTP. I am really enjoying it but a lot of people are telling me that I haven't had enough theory training? I have taught 15 hours a week since day one. I was not given time for observations or to "get to know the school". I thought that the first few weeks would have been just watching others and picking up ideas etc. I was given the SOW on the Friday and told that I would start teaching on the Monday. I am getting a bit worried about applyign for jobs now, as I don't feel I know enough to anser questions.
    I have been reading books and researching in my soare time.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks

2. We have to do the reading and theory as we have the PGCE to complete on top of the GTP!! Hard work but learning loads at the same time.
    I can understand your frustration though, no time for anything!

3. Lucy, you should have had time for observations etc before beginning teaching. You should have observed a range of teachers and different year groups. I know different schools and providers do it differently which is why I think the GTP should be more standardised before it is expanded as will probably happen under the Governments new proposals to put training into schools. It is not too late, can't you use your GTP time in school for observations and visits, it's what GTP time is for. Book yourself visits to other schools too, ask your mentor for it to be added to your training plan as you have identified it as a need.
    As GTPs we should be in control of our own training so if your school say no then they are not meeting your needs.
    Actually I think GTP is the best route into teaching (wait for the torrent of abuse from Bed and PGCE!) but we get to see the whole school year unfold not just a few weeks here and there. We work hard but have fun along the way.

4. Great news. I have just been accepted on a GTP Secondary, there were over 440 applicants for 22 places (Prim and Sec). How is the job search going??

5. Hi. I'm also currently on the GTP and know that the amount you teach depends on your previous experience. As standard, it's term one 20%, term two 50% and term three 80-100%. You should also have scheduled non-contact time, again this depends on the school, but I have 1 1/2 days a week out of class. This time includes PPA and observing experienced staff. It's really beneficial to watch others and I'm sure is a requirement of the course...you pick up different things from everyone, so I would recommend speaking to your mentor!
    Hope this helps. I think that's the only negative to the GTP, that sometimes your experience varies according to your school which can be unfair. It's tough but the practical experience is invaluable!

6. Thanks, it's good to hear that it isn't just this school. Some senior members of staff always introduce me as "this is lucy, Maths GTP, thrown in at the deep end"....i think it's just the way the school go about it. They want to see from day one if you will sink or swim under the pressure. I'm guessing its better that I have been teaching the same hours from the start, because it can't get any worse then...hopefully just better :)
    There were two of us doing the GTP here to start off, but such a shame that the other trainee didn't enjoy it and left after half a term :( so just me now. I think you need to be certain that you want to do it!
    Thanks again

7. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

You definitely need to be certain, as otherwise it can be really hard, particularly if you've got an unsupportive school.
    I'm in the same boat, have had an 80% timetable from the start of the year, and you do learn to manage you time better, so I am getting on better with it than I did in September, so I don't mind that I haven't had the stepped approach that others have.
    I agree that it needs to be standardised better, there are some schools that I am aware of that are really supportive, and others that absolutely aren't.
    I think it does make you a better teacher as by the time you enter your NQT you've got so much more classroom facing experience (again, expecting to receive abuse from PGCE's here!?!) and are also expected to input into things like a tutor group, data entry, policy creation, parents evening, report writing that as far as I'm aware, PGCE's don't have as much involvement with.
    It's two different approaches that suit different people. We differentiate in the classroom and with exams offered, so why shouldn't there be more than one approach to enter the teaching profession?