1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

current educational issue facing teachers- pgce interview help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sarah_apple, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Hi i have been asked to do a presentation on the current educational issues facing teachers for my pgce interview. I have decided to do it on the sats marking, I;ve chosen this because it is a recent issue and something different then the usual disclipline, SEN issues facing schools. Please advise. am I going the right way, is the bizaree sats marking an issue for teachers.
    thanks.

2. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Hmm. Good question. I think focusing on marking is a bit too narrow. What about eg. Pensions, academies, inclusion etc. They might provide you with a bit more meat as they are reported on all of the time. Good luck!

3. I had to do this for my interview. I'd say choose your topic to show off what you understand about what the job of teachers is about - so I'd suggest that while talking about the politics of SATS marking and whose fault it is etc would be a bit dry, you might find that talking instead about why teachers are against SATs (teaching to the test, the problem of stifling creativity through writing tests - which have recently been abolished - etc) might be something you can get your teeth into a bit better! Bring in your own experiences if you can - e.g. have you observed a Y6 class and seen the effect that SATs have on the children?
    If your interview is the same as mibne, you'll be asked to have a group discussion about everyone's presentations from your group, so make sure you read round everything and have some opinions/experiences/examples for a wide range of topics. And yes, they will be mostly about SEN, inclusion, behaviour, curriculum reviews, etc!!