1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current day to day costs in Beijing...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cityfree, Jan 30, 2011.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hello,
    As some of you may know, I'm off to Beijing in the summer. I am very lucky that a get a flat and bills sorted for me. But I was wondering about other costs in Beijing. I had a few ideas for possible costs, such as:
    Weekly food for one
    Mobile phone (can I get a/use my current iPhone?)
    Internet
    Cost of getting into central Beijing on public transport (is it possible/worth getting a car - I plan to go snowboarding at weekends during the winter).
    Cost of clothes etc (not a huge clothes shopper, but will need to buy some at some point, I'm sure).
    Cinema or other entertainment
    I don't have very expensive tastes, but I don't want to always be buying the bottom of the range either.
    If I have missed anything, feel free to add.
    A happy weekend to you all.
    x

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hello,
    As some of you may know, I'm off to Beijing in the summer. I am very lucky that a get a flat and bills sorted for me. But I was wondering about other costs in Beijing. I had a few ideas for possible costs, such as:
    Weekly food for one
    Mobile phone (can I get a/use my current iPhone?)
    Internet
    Cost of getting into central Beijing on public transport (is it possible/worth getting a car - I plan to go snowboarding at weekends during the winter).
    Cost of clothes etc (not a huge clothes shopper, but will need to buy some at some point, I'm sure).
    Cinema or other entertainment
    I don't have very expensive tastes, but I don't want to always be buying the bottom of the range either.
    If I have missed anything, feel free to add.
    A happy weekend to you all.
    x

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Don't know the answer to your problem. However, bicylces should be cheap. After all, there are nine million bicycles in Beijing. That's a fact, it's a thing we can't deny.

4. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Like the fact that I will love you 'til I die...well, maybe not you..I don't know you...but some one...

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I was thinking about taking my bike, until I soon-to-be-ex pointed out that it was like taking coals to Newcastle...he may have a point.

6. 576

576 Occasional commenter

There are many bicycles in Beijing but please consider for a moment a key fact.
    Beijing is the same size as Belguim & I don't mean the population - I mean the physical size!
    From my experience (asa tourist with a fab guide) of Beijing central train station - you will need to learn chinese to use public transport.
    Good luck though!

7. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

For getting into town I will do, no wy do I want to cycle or drive in central Beijing. The school is quite far out so t the moment I am not sure how good the public trnsport is in the local area.
    I had no idea it was quite that big...wow...

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Will you be coming from Shunyi? Taxis are easy and fairly cheap (let me know where you're coming from and and I can tell you how much exaclty). Subways and buses are even cheaper and you do not need Chinese for them once you get the knack.
    I can give you more details on daily costs etc. when I get a minute. Currently in Phuket for Chinese New Year [​IMG] and the beach is calling.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

OK, so obviously a lot of this will depend on your lifestyle, where you shop, where/how often you go out to eat etc. But, here is a rough guide. You can PM me with any detailed questions or if you want any input on the school, area the school is in.
    As a family of 3 our bills excluding rent (groceries, mobile phones, transportation, eating out/take out 2 to 3 times a week) run about 10K rmb per month. You can probably figure yours as less than that (unless you are living very large indeed).
    Food: Depending on where you shop this can be cheap or expensive. You can find a $12.00 box of cereal, but you can also find very reasonable groceries in many places. Figure less than you pay for a week's groceries in the UK (how much less is hard to say, depending on what you tend to buy). We spend about 1000 rmb a week shopping at western and local grocers.
    Eating out is generally very reasonable. Figure 40 to 100 rmb with alcohol for a good meal out (or great Indian food delivered). You can also go places and order a 500rmb steak if you are of the mind.
    Phone: Yes, you can buy an Iphone 4 here and yours should work here if it is unlocked (one way or the other).
    Internet comes with our rent. I think service would be around 200rmb a month if it didn't.
    Transport: Again depends on where you are coming from and how often you will be going downtown. We don't own a car, but some people find it worthwhile. The subway is ridiculously cheap (under $1) and bus even cheaper. I'm not sure a car would be worth an investment just for weekend snow boarding but you might.
    Clothing: Again can vary wildly. Medium range sweaters etc would be in the 100-200rmb range. You can also pay 1000-2000rmb each for brand name items (or pay 100rmb for decent quality knockoffs that have the brand name, label etc).
    You can also post specific questions on the Beijinger: http://www.thebeijinger.com/.

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Getting some winter sun? I have have PM'd you. [​IMG]

11. I am also in Beijing and located in a school in the Haidian area. Cost of living is as described above; very cheap and you will safe at least half of your salary. If you want another person's view of Beijing then PM me

12. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Thank you boyo and everyone else. Any one else heading Beijing way in August?