1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Current challenges facing Primary School teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gem17, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Hi everyone! I've just found out I've got an interview for a Primary PGCE - I have to do an interview on current challenges and problems for Primary teachers. I would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks xxx

2. Hi everyone! I've just found out I've got an interview for a Primary PGCE - I have to do an interview on current challenges and problems for Primary teachers. I would appreciate any advice!!

Thanks xxx

3. Ezzie

Ezzie New commenter

Challenges and problems - crikey, where to start! Well, here are a few things forefront in my mind at the moment:

Raising achievements/standards (especially in writing)

Effective and meaningful target setting and assessment

differentiation in planning/personalised learning

behaviour management (including parents and other members of staff!)

keeping on top of all the paperwork AND teaching a full curriculum

after school clubs, paretns evenings,the Christmas play, not spending enough time with my own children etc, etc

Sounds a bit pessimistic, didn't mean it to be, still think it's the best job in the world!

Good luck with your PGCE!

4. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

Every Child Matters

Extended Day

Working with other childrens services - Health and Social Services

5. Thanks so much for those points! I've been reading the TES and trying to find info on the internet but didn't come up with much so thankyou! x

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Challenging behaviour.

Class sizes is my major issue. Classes either too large so you can give very little personal attention to children or class sizes so small that they end up joining groups into mixed age classes.

7. I also have an interview for Primary PGCE coming up next week, Behaviour management is also an issue which is in the highlights lately and the ATL ( Association of Teachers and Lecturer's) have shown in a recent survey that 3/4 of teachers have admitted that they are finding teaching more difficult due to disruptive and agressive behaviour from children.
    Best of luck for the interview :)

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The OPs interview was over 4 years ago but good luck to you

9. But the issues posted by Ezzie have remain much the same, haven't they?
    Making sense of the endless debates about how best to teach reading and writing
    is another perennial.