1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Current Agendas in Primary Education

Discussion in 'Primary' started by everoptimist, May 29, 2011.

1. In addition to the obvious knowledge one should have of the National Curriculum, EYFS, and National Strategies, what are currently the hot topics that one should really know about, or at least be aware of, within primary schools. I'm thinking along the lines of High Scope for example. Also, is there a particular approach to a specific subjects that one should be aware of for example Pie Corbett for literacy, or the Montessori Method?

Anything you can think of, no matter how seemingly obvious would be appreciated. This is solely for the purpose of self-imrpovement. Thanks : )

2. In addition to the obvious knowledge one should have of the National Curriculum, EYFS, and National Strategies, what are currently the hot topics that one should really know about, or at least be aware of, within primary schools. I'm thinking along the lines of High Scope for example. Also, is there a particular approach to a specific subjects that one should be aware of for example Pie Corbett for literacy, or the Montessori Method?

Anything you can think of, no matter how seemingly obvious would be appreciated. This is solely for the purpose of self-imrpovement. Thanks : )

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I hope your named topics aren't essential knowledge.

I've never heard of High Scope.

I wouldn't say that the Pie Corbett approach is essential knowledge, I like it but taught literacy very well without it for years.

Montessori methods would only be essential knowledge in a Montessori school, though you can incorporate elements into state school teaching.

None would be Hot Topics, imo.

4. Thanks for your reply. It's interesting that things given importance in one school can be unheard of in another : ). Are there any schemes etc. you have found useful in your experience?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

High Scope was popular in nurseries in the 1960s [​IMG] and has seen a resurection in a relatively few early years settings.
    If you are looking at Early Years you might also want to consider the influence of Reggio emilia and Te Wh?riki.
    Pie Corbett produced the talk for writing material for the last government and his methods are very popular (and effective) so worth looking at.
    Many schools use Big writing (Ros wilson) and it has it's supporters and critics we find it very effective if taught correctly.
    We also use Big Maths (lots of common sense number work) but you will find some TES posters aren't fans of anything BIG [​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Schemes I have found useful? Yes lots. But none are what you would call 'Hot Topics' or essential knowledge.

7. All we talk about in our school these days is how we're skint and people are losing their jobs.