1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Currency

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rachelpaula008, Nov 8, 2015.

1. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I've just been given £100 - whoop whoop. In two £50 notes - oh, hmmm. I trust the person who's handed over this cash but feel nervous about it. I won't be able to get to the bank for days. Would you feel nervous handing over the notes in a supermarket or petrol station? Am I being stupid? I think it's the fear of the notes being rejected...

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't think I've ever seen a £50.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Actually I think your fears are justified. The number of shops that I have been in which have signs saying "We don't accept £50 notes" is substantial. The safest option is to take them to the bank and deposit them. Failing that I would make sure I had another means of payment.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have ..lots of them/at times..........shame i didnt get to spend them all.
    I have friend and he used to keep several £50 notes in his wallet.I never saw him break into one so they might have been sewn in.Then again i never saw him buy a round!

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why would you need to go to a bank? Use them at a supermarket or a petrol station. Where I live people seem to have loads of them to pay for the week's shopping.

aspensquiver and rachelpaula008 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

That forgery scandal was quite a few years ago now, but if you are unsure you can get them checked at a bank.

8. grumpydogwoman

A lot of places get confused between possible fakes and the withdrawal of the Houblon note and thus refuse to accept any fifties. Easiest thing is just to change them at the bank.

9. rachelpaula008

I've just 'liked' all your posts - to spread the joy : )

They're Watt and Boulton. It didn't occur to me to get them changed at A bank, which I'm sure I could. It's just my bank is a trip into town as there's only one in my area. Quite a few branches of other banks though.

Sometimes it's a pain banking at Coutts. Bleddy inconvenient.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I wouldn't know if they were fake- I've never had one and I hate it when they hold a tenner up to the light to check it's authenticity. It's a tenner fgs. Not that much these days.

aspensquiver and rachelpaula008 like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

Coutts! Oooooh! Fifty quid to you is like 50p to the rest of us! ;)

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only using this as a chance to share my 'good fortune. Premium Bonds have just informed me that 2 separate bonds have won me £25 each! What a bonus just before Christmas! [​IMG]

And bless you mother, who gave me the bonds years ago.

13. grumpydogwoman

Well done, Lara.
    That's reminded me I got nothing out of the bar-stewards this month!!! :mad:

Please, Sir, Lara got my money, Sir. It's not fair!!!!!!

14. rachelpaula008

Soz, had a mouthful of biscuits when I said that. Meant Co-op heh he heh.

15. grumpydogwoman

Nah. You can't go back on it now, @rachelpaula008

Your secret is out. You're a right toff and no mistake. Coutts!!!!!

16. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Fill up your car with petrol and offer them as payment - saying, 'I've left my credit cards at home today, so this'll have to do'...If they don't accept them you get a free tank of fuel!

17. rachelpaula008

Are you sure? What if they don't and I then have to pay with my debit card? It's the 'walk of shame' and looking suspicious to others which is sort of freaking me out...

Yes, a First World Problem with my 100 smackeroonies. But I needed this money and it came through at just the right time. I was planning on spending it on petrol. Wish me luck.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Tesco self service machines take £50 notes.

19. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Many years ago I worked in a high end department store. We were told it was unnecessary to ask for identification (this was before bank cards) for Coutts cheques. Are the cheques still as smart as they were then?

20. rachelpaula008

Interesting, thank you nomad.

Grumpydogwoman - I am proper posh.