1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Currency in Turkey

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Looking at getting currency for my holiday soon. I was told that Turkey will take Euros but can't see anything online that says that. Does anyone know if this is correct or would I be safer with Turkish Lira?

2. Milkandchalk

Looking at getting currency for my holiday soon. I was told that Turkey will take Euros but can't see anything online that says that. Does anyone know if this is correct or would I be safer with Turkish Lira?

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Mum was in Turkey a couple of years ago....she says they took every sort of currency you like to offer...and each store/stall/vendor has their own exchange rate!

4. My husband works out there three or four times a year and only takes euros / cc with him now.

5. Yes, you can use Euros. They are accepted without any problem.

6. Having lived and worked in one of the holiday resorts, I would suggest you take your currency in GBP or Euro and actually exchange it for Turkish lira when you are there. The exchange rate is far higher than we can get here and they will exchange money in all supermarkets, bars and corner shops. The idea is that the exchange rate rises in the low season and that's when they cash in the pounds/euro for lira. So you get more money out there and they make more money in the long run :)
    I'm off out there in a couple of weeks and my friend who is still over there told me on Friday that the exchange rate is currently 2.57 lira per pound, which is more than the post office/bank. Oh, and no one will charge you commission to exchange your money over there either.

7. Jools

Do you by any chance know if it is the same in Cyprus?

8. Cyprus is in the Euro-zone so they use Euros. I don't see the relevance of Cyprus and Turkey?

9. There was not one

I meant that it was better to change there than here ... I asked purely because Jools seemed to know currency stuff

10. mich21761

mich21761 New commenter

New Turkish Lira, I would advise you to either take sterling and change it in jewellers who give a better rate or withdraw money from your debit card over there and then change it to lira.
    Either way change it there, better rates, currently 2.45 to the £ here over there 2.58 approx.

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Northern Cyrus is Turkish and uses Turkish Lira.

12. Milkandchalk

Thankyou. I will just take Euros I think. I will try to get English bank notes out to take too as they probably won't accept Scottish notes.

13. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Officially the euro is NOT capitalised

14. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Yes, when I was there in 2007 they would pretty much accept any currency you had going (within reason; they liked it when you paid in Euros and even accepted pounds and dollars because they know they can get a great exchange rate when they transfer it into Lira.)

Lira is by far and away the cheapest to use though and the exchange rate is excellent (or was when I was there!)
    Don't forget that when going to Turkey, British citizens need a Visa so make sure you have some money to pay for that on arrival. I think it cost me £10.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

We lived in Istanbul for 6 years, and only ever used Lira ('cos that's what we were paid in). But could easily have used it in any downtown establishment.
    When we went South for the occasional holiday, people often seemed suprised that we should offer Lira, it seemed they wanted us to pay in euros. My feelings were that a lot of the traders felt they could make a couple of bob by using non-standard conversion rates.
    I maybe completely wrong, but I would trust getting your Lira out of the ATM in loco, obviously check charges beforehand to see if they are stupid.

(It is no longer the New Turkish Lira , YTL , they dropped the 'new' bit a couple of years ago after previously chopping 6 zeroes off the old currency

16. And you'll find that immigration won't accept a £10 Scottish note as your visa payment when you enter the country either!

17. karentee

karentee New commenter

Take sterling and change into TL when you are there. Pay with Lira , you'll need it for buses/paying for small things with

18. Please note that this is not accurate. Northern Cyprus is not recognised by any state, apart from Turkey, as being part of the Turkish state. It is occupied territory. If you visit the free part of Cyprus, kindly be careful if you mention this.