1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curious as to what you all think rather than needing advice...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by minnieminx, Apr 17, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Would you stay in your current school (primary) for a role that bores you, but you get to do other bits and pieces to keep you out of trouble, and you like the school and the staff? Career wise going nowhere fast, but having a good time. And other opportunities may well come up in the next year or so.

Or would you apply for a post that is a good career move and interests you, but isn't necessarily a school you want to work in? As in 'how do you know until you get there?' But it would mean your career is moving on.

I've been puzzling this for a week or so and have decided just to ask and see what you all think.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Would you stay in your current school (primary) for a role that bores you, but you get to do other bits and pieces to keep you out of trouble, and you like the school and the staff? Career wise going nowhere fast, but having a good time. And other opportunities may well come up in the next year or so.

Or would you apply for a post that is a good career move and interests you, but isn't necessarily a school you want to work in? As in 'how do you know until you get there?' But it would mean your career is moving on.

I've been puzzling this for a week or so and have decided just to ask and see what you all think.

3. My preference would be to stay, as I have seen many people become unhappy, and make others unhappy, by trying to pursue an ephemeral idea of 'career'. But your preference mught be different, and only you will know what's best for you.

4. Have done something pretty similar - well I left a job that I enjoyed but that I could see wasn't going anywhere fast and moved to a job where I thought I'd get to have more responsibility and a future career - I found myself in a job which I HATED and ended up leaving, being out of work for six months and having to do supply and then get a temporary contract.
    A lot to be said for a "fur lined rut" as my father once referred to a previous position - in other words it's very comfy and safe and you know where you are going! The alternative might just be too bumpy to cope with!

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Stay if you're happy every time. You never know what might come up in your school. It's time to leave when you're no longer happy.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you all for your ideas so far.

Now that is a fabulous phrase! Your father is an astute man. That is exactly how it feels.

That is what I have always thought before and advised other people. But now I'm not at all unhappy, just a bit bored and frustrated. Not sure if that still means time to go...

7. I always moved, for more money, stayed awhile if I liked it, if not I gave it 2/3 years & then moved on. Career wise very good, lots of dosh, never had to really bother with all the nonsense in the staffrooms. Depends what you want from life, ie, good standard of living, afford holidays, live where you want to live or sit in the staffroom with the crew moaning about this & that, never having enough to buy what you want. The latter does suit a lot of folk, if that is what you want - stay! Hopefully, when you hit that age when you have no option but to stay, you will not feel that you should have gone, when you had the choice.
    Do you drive?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That does worry me a fair bit. I've always moved, but have always wanted to. Now I'd like to stay a while, but have done the few years you speak of so feel I ought to move.

Yes??????

9. gitmath

gitmath New commenter

Stay where you are every time unless you are absolutely certain about where you're moving to. I took on a job in pretty similar circumstances to you and I hate it. Not because of the students, they're great, or most of the staff, who are also great, but completely down to the management.
    Do your resaearch, though, and you could be completely fine. I didn't, I had reservations about the new post but decided that I was being silly. I should have gone along with my instincts.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Hmmm that is what worries me. To give up looking for now, or to risk a nightmare?

11. gitmath

gitmath New commenter

I'd suggest keeping an open mind - don't go out of your way to look but be aware of anything that comes up that looks interesting. Your instinct will be pretty good after 15 year!! :)

12. If you are in a good place with good people, think long and hard before you move on. There are schools where there are always jobs coming up because staff turnover is high -- high staff turnover can be caused by workplace bullying.

People who work in schools with good staff and management generally have difficulty imagining working in a situation where their abilities were not recognised. If you make the wrong move, you can end up stuck in a rather bad place.

All i am saying is take care and do your research.