1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

curious about sons result

Discussion in 'History' started by going grey quickly, Aug 25, 2011.

1. going grey quickly

going grey quickly New commenter

as an ICT/Business teacher excuse my ignorance!
    my son received his GCSE grades today and his sources paper was very low scoring (which brought his overall down from the B he was on course for). After a bit of research it seems that this paper is the one that everyone struggles with; is this correct?
    Also, he is desperate to continue the subject into A level and he has been accepted onto the course; how difficult is he going to find it at AS/A2 and what can I do to help him

thanks!

2. going grey quickly

as an ICT/Business teacher excuse my ignorance!
    my son received his GCSE grades today and his sources paper was very low scoring (which brought his overall down from the B he was on course for). After a bit of research it seems that this paper is the one that everyone struggles with; is this correct?
    Also, he is desperate to continue the subject into A level and he has been accepted onto the course; how difficult is he going to find it at AS/A2 and what can I do to help him

thanks!

3. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Hi GGQ - you don't say what grade he ended up with. Was it a C? The sources paper is difficult - it is about thinking skills. The knowledge paper rewards those who are hardworking and can write fairly well but it is hard for some to cope with the high levels of thinking for the sources paper. Talk to his history teacher but I know that students we have had with C grades at GCSE do not do well at A level.

4. It is true that pupils generally perform worse in the source paper. There is not very much emphasis on sources at A level so if this is his only weakness in history he should be fine. I'm assuming he ended up with a C? We ask for a grade B in history to take A level history but I would take the odd pupil with a C if I felt they had been a bit unlucky on the day. If I felt a C was the best they could achieve at Gcse I'd try to discourage them. Speak to his teacher.

5. going grey quickly

thanks for the replies

He did get a C, was targeted and his other marks were a B. It is his favourite subject and turned down a better college than the one he is going to attend due to their history not being modern world.
    He gained a B in english, maths and science therefore has ability and when I asked what other suubjects he might consider whilst driving to the college with his results there wasn't any! I am happy with his choice of continuing the subject as he loves it so much and if he does struggle, then I hope it is the one he drops!