1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Curiculum Changes

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tjra, Oct 29, 2011.

1. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Why would you start the GCSE in Year 7? Yes, some students would be able to access it. Is it right though - is it what we should be doing? Before you look at trying to get the maximum quantifiable results from your students look at what education SHOULD be about.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

That's my feeling. We should be giving them an education as much as ensuring they gain a qualification. KS3 allows for some experimentation that the pressures of GCSE just don't allow for (or at least less tolerant of). Sometimes learning for learning's sake is what we need.
    And then there's the issue of intellectual and emotional maturity that many year 7s (even year 8s) are going to lack...let alone the small number who just can't read.

3. i think everyone has been duped!! ah ah!!! nice one. year 7 GCSE start. I know things started going a bit crazy with level 2 courses starting in year 8 and 9, but the OP has really lined everyone up as mugs for replying!