1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cure for a stinky dishwasher? (Sorry its banal)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have one of those (indespensible) sinktop dishwashers (only one of me). I tried lemon juice on a quick cycle and the pong went for a few days, now I am trying a teaspoonful of bleach. I know you can buy that dishwasher cleaner stuff, but I have not been able to find it for weeks, and it costs. Any tips from the assemblage? (No quips about being a lazy oik and not washing them in the sink, if you don't mind. The washdisher is the greatest invention since Marigolds!)

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I just give mine a weekly rinse out with some bleach and hot water, then turn it upside down to drain.

[​IMG]

3. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Might not be the dishwasher.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Have you taken the filters out and cleaned the gunk off them?

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I do occasionally use the cleaner things, but they can sometimes be hard to track down even in normal times and I haven't seen them for weeks either.
    So you could try running it, empty, on the highest wash cycle it has. I assume it's no different from a bigger d/w, just little, and this is what Mr Mothorchid does when he thinks our d/w is smelly. It seems to work although i am not quite sure it gets clean right down the waste pipe in the way a cleaner seems to do.
    If it's sinktop, then maybe a good squirt of bleach down the sink drain might help. Again, there are times when my washing machine is in use and there is a drain-y smell, so once it's finished, I squirt bleach down and leave it for as long as possible. That clears out the U bend!
    Honestly, my house is clean...

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As others have touched upon, it is more likely to be the pipes - particularly the drainage pipes.

Replacing them should be cheap and easy, as once they have got this far with the smells all detergents do is add a nice smell to the top of the bad smell.....then over a few days the detergent itself gets washed away.

needabreak likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Ours gathers gunk at the bottom of the door. It must get pushed in there over time, but doesn't wash out. I have to half open the door and wipe it all away then rinse it. And the same thing can happen round the edges of the door.

mothorchid likes this.
  8. Ivartheboneless

Trap cleaned regularly. Tried hottest wash, made little difference. Tried bleach (teaspoonful, don't want foam) is now better. Poured boiling water in first that it spat out on starting. Anybody used an actual disinfectant like Zoflora or Dettol?(assuming Trump hasn't bought up the world's supply for personal use. Oooh irony!)

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How does the unit connect to the fixed waste pipe that runs to the outside drain? Are there gaps in the connections that might be letting waste pipe pongs out? Ours is a flexible tube on the back of the unit that just sticks into a vertical solid plastic waste pipe, but I've had to add extra bits to fill the gaps and seal up the connection more.

Ours also got pongy when the waste pipe backed up and some of the waste water was spilling onto the floor behind the unit. Eeurgh.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ew! No waste pipe empties directly into sink (nowhere else for it to go as washing machine uses sole waste pipe jobbie). The volumes these liittle uns use are less, so even a full cycle would not overflow the sink. It has never blocked, just that sometimes when I empty the washed stuff out of it it smells less than fresh. If Aggie was here she'd probably advocate rubbing the inside with half a lemon or something! (Don't get the wrong idea cos I'm a man who likes it clean and actually knows who Aggie is. Can't remember the scary one's name, the one with the Croydon facelift)

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Doitforfree

You clearly have a problem that isn't going to respond to lemon juice. There must be some detritus trapped somewhere, that is rotting. Does it have seals? They can harbor small particles of food. Have you checked the waste pipe, that it's not got mould or anything in it?

12. Ivartheboneless

Soory, you have got the wrong end of the stick. I'm only talking a bout it not smelling quite fresh when opened. Not powerful rancid pong. The purveyors of Fairy Platinum don't mention it, and you'd think the expense of their products (only bought when on offer) would keep the bloody thing smelling nicer than Coco Chanel's undie drawer!

agathamorse likes this.
  13. safnor

safnor New commenter

Have you tried throwing some white vinegar in there and bicarbonate soda when it’s enough then running it on at highest cycle.

needabreak likes this.
  14. Doitforfree

It shouldn't smell unfresh whatever detergent you use. There is something wrong if your crockery comes out shelling 'not fresh'.

15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Tell him/ her to have a bath.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Divorce him and find one that smells better?

catbefriender likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Is the door seal all it should be? Pongs escaping during the washing cycle?

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Have you dried this dishwasher cleaner stuff? (Cheaper supermarket own brands are available)

upload_2020-7-5_18-49-40.png

needabreak likes this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

1) Eh?
    2) Eh again?
    3) No
    4) yes, but its expensive and as stated haven't seen any in shops for ages.
    Might try vinegar.

20. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter