1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cups!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bruno71, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi my LO is 17 weeks on Sat and I am thinking about introducing a cup soon.
    He is currently bottle fed and has 6 bottles a day, roughly every 3 hours. My question really is do I start just by offering him water in the cup and continue with his milk in bottles? I know that trying him straight on the cup for his milk would be too much of a big step as we struggled to get the right combination of milk and teats for weeks! But when do I start to do this?
    I have bought him a free flow cup with a soft teat to start him off with and also bought a free flow one with a hard teat for him to move on to. If I start offering him water in the soft spout free flow cup will this confuse him with his bottles for milk? I know that he needs to be weaned off his bottles by 12 months and obviously I can give him cow's milk then, so will do so in a cup with his meals, but what do I do in the meantime? Should I start with the water, then once I start to wean (probably in the next few weeks) try giving him some daytime milk feeds in his cup? Also, the free flow cups I have found only hold 5 or 6oz, so do others refill them if their LOs are still having a full milk feed? What about sterilising? My HV said to continue to sterilise anything used for milk until 12 months but obviously he will only have a couple of cups (whereas now we have 8 bottles on rotate!) so should I wash and sterilise after each use??
    I am confused as you can probably tell!
    Can anyone help??

2. Hi my LO is 17 weeks on Sat and I am thinking about introducing a cup soon.
    He is currently bottle fed and has 6 bottles a day, roughly every 3 hours. My question really is do I start just by offering him water in the cup and continue with his milk in bottles? I know that trying him straight on the cup for his milk would be too much of a big step as we struggled to get the right combination of milk and teats for weeks! But when do I start to do this?
    I have bought him a free flow cup with a soft teat to start him off with and also bought a free flow one with a hard teat for him to move on to. If I start offering him water in the soft spout free flow cup will this confuse him with his bottles for milk? I know that he needs to be weaned off his bottles by 12 months and obviously I can give him cow's milk then, so will do so in a cup with his meals, but what do I do in the meantime? Should I start with the water, then once I start to wean (probably in the next few weeks) try giving him some daytime milk feeds in his cup? Also, the free flow cups I have found only hold 5 or 6oz, so do others refill them if their LOs are still having a full milk feed? What about sterilising? My HV said to continue to sterilise anything used for milk until 12 months but obviously he will only have a couple of cups (whereas now we have 8 bottles on rotate!) so should I wash and sterilise after each use??
    I am confused as you can probably tell!
    Can anyone help??

3. Can't really help, I'm afraid...my boy is 6 months and although he can hold his bottle himself towards the end of feeds he's not so hot with a cup. You can get handles to pop on the top of some bottles to help make the transition between bottle and cup a bit easier. This might sound daft, but would he maybe take to the cup more easily if it was milk in it since that's what he's used to drinking?
    We have been weaning since he was 17 weeks and he is on 4 8oz bottles a day but I;m trying to use the cup for water to have with his meals- I sort of think are the cups for when they're having less milk as they eat more solid food, maybe that's why they hold less? Like you, I'm confused! Maybe ask your HV?

4. blueone

blueone New commenter

Hey Bruno
    Im going to give James a cup within the next few weeks with water, maybe just a couple of ounces. Im only going to give it inbewtween feeds mainly to get him used to the cup and how to drink from it. I havent even thought about what to do about the milk etc.. I guess when he starts eating food i will give him water with his food and he should naturally drop some of his milk because he is fuller. I dont know though!

5. handrail

handrail New commenter

We were given a tommee tippee cup at the weaning session I went to today. I'm gonna do the same as blueone and give LO water in it to start with. Gonna keep going with the bottles for a while yet as not planning on starting weaning for 5 weeks or so. Will start to use the cups for milk later on so he's weaned off his bottles by 12 months. I think I would still sterilise the cups but like HV said today by 6 months they are putting allsorts in their mouths so don't worry too much!
    (Also confused :eek:) x

6. my daughter is now 21 months, we've now totally moved from bottles to cups for everything.
    I bought a Tommee Tippee Free Flow Cup.. At the weaning stage (17wks) I offfered water in her cup during meal times, this didn't replace her bottles. At first I had to hold her cup, expect some spillage as it is free flowing. At 6months she was holding it on her own and drinking from it easily. Don't offer more than couple oz's otherwise they will fill up on empty calories. Between 17wks and 6months, they need cooled boiled water. Then at 6months they can have tap water.
    As the food increases the bottles reduce so thats quite easy. Then at 12months, i stopped her morning milk in a bottle and did cold turkey of it in a cup, took about 3 days. Then I stopped night time milk about 16months and again cold turkey for this. I did go to s Tommee Tippee soft spouted out - Tip it Up (i think) she immediately swapped to a cup and we've not looked back since.

7. Hi thanks for the replies. I have decided to start using the soft spout free flow one for water over the next couple of weeks and see how he gets on. Then once I start to wean him I will offer him water in this with every meal.
    For the meantime I have put the handles from a TT cup onto his bottles to get him used to holding something. So as his meals increase and milk decreases from about 6 months, should I continue to give his milk (3 or so a day) in bottles and gradually move him onto a cup with the aim of getting rid of the bottles by 12 months?

8. yes, he will gradually start wanting more milk as the volume of solids start going up and having protein in meals. So he'll maybe only have bottle in morning, after 'lunch', after 'tea' and then bed time bottle. The milk after meals will start gradually going down. But yes the aim is to have no bottles by 12-15months.. but it is down to the child etc...

9. This has been an interesting thread! Didn't realise they could have tap water from 6 months, which is less hassle than the cooled boiled water [​IMG]

10. Glitterkid... I didn't know either.. I was still doing boiled water at 8months! My mum is a community midwife and she often speaks to the head HV because I don't get time to see one. You also dont need to sterlise their spoons/bowls after 6 months either. just hot hot water like dishwasher.

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We didn't know either, and then we had the year check and the HV said he could've been having tap water from 6 months! We also sterilised bottles until then too.
    We had a tommee tippee free flow cup and gave him water in it, and he was able to hold it himself. Now he likes us to take the lid off so he can drink from it like a grown up! (he's 19 months). He's always grabbing our empty tea and coffee mugs and trying to drink from them. He does still have a bottle of cows milk before his afternoon nap and one before bed. He's only recently started eating properly, so once he gets more into a routine with this, we'll cut out the bottles (well, try to at least!).

12. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Our little girl is 18 months almost, and still has a bottle of milk in the morning and before bed. We started giving her a cup to drink water out of when we started weaning at 6 months and she got used to it very quickly. She drinks lovely out of it, but refuses to drink milk out of a cup no matter what we do!

13. A friend of mine is a paediatrician (sp?) who speciallises in diet and nutrition but she said it is very common for babies to keep their morning or night bottle beyond a year, even though HV are supposed to tell you not to. As long as you are trying to get them used to a cup and not letting them spend hours sucking on a bottle it is ok.

14. Well I gave him his first offering of water in a cup this morning and it did not go well! The look on his face was hilarious and then he just spat it all out and started crying! I thought with the lid on it wouldn't spill so gave it to him to play with in the living room and ended up with water everywhere!

15. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

I spent a fortune on cups and she ended up using the tommee tippee cup with the flip up and down lid best and is one of the cheapest at about £1.30 in Sainsbury's. Don't waste money on valved cups like I did... they have to suck so hard to get anything out and get frustrated.

16. Someone had given me a Tommee Tippee one as a present - it quite big with a soft valved spout. Tried it this morning with just a little water in it and he liked the water but couldn't tip it up enough himself. Might try the one you suggested sjw, at least it won;t break the bank!

17. This is the one isobel drinks from still, its the cheap £1.30 one and we have now got two of them.
    [​IMG]
    another option which you can use from weaning is a Doidy Cup. We've just introduced it, as it teachers her to drink from the rim... (Doidy Cup)
    [​IMG]

They won't like water because they don't know what to do with it!, so they'll spit it out :)

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We have 3 of the Tommee Tippee ones! We take the lid of for him now most of the time. I was thinking about getting one of those doidy cups, but he seems to be able to drink out of a cup without a lid with no problems, apart from when he tips it all over himself for his own amusement!
    We first gave him water at 5 months when he was ill and dehydrated, and he seemed to like it, but it does take a while to get used to.

19. Yeah thats true! I just wonder whether I should be trying him with his milk in the cup to get him used to using it, because with water it's not only a new cup/drinking method to get used to, but also a drink he's never had.

20. I'd keep trying each meal time, then if totally not getting it, but a little milk in and see what happens.. Doesn't normally take them long to work out water is ok during 'meal' times.