1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cups or mugs and if mugs then what sort?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I hate drinking anything from cups. They are so small and the hot drink cools so quickly. I like a good sized china mug shaped like this though not with this pattern. I specially can't abide those teeny weeny coffee cups where you get barely more than a thimble full of coffee.[​IMG]

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

We routinely drink from mugs in our house. I don't mind a cup if I'm provided with a pot of tea or coffee so that I can refill to my heart's content; I do object to agreeing to purchase coffee in a restaurant and then the waiter rocking up with a tiny cup and NOT supplying me with a cafetiere of coffee from which to serve myself.

I also used to hate it if I turned up to a meeting or conference and the coffee/tea was given to me to carry away in a cup and saucer - as I was usually carrying a briefcase, it made for a slow, precarious wobble until I could find somewhere to set things down.

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I like a good mug, the bigger the better. We don't have cups in the house.

5. PussyGraves

PussyGraves Occasional commenter

Do you use those cups for anything other than espresso/machiato/cortado for which they are intended. A double espresso in the above mug would be silly.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I find I have that even without the coffee cup and the briefcase. Even more so since I dropped the long loppers onto my big toe.

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't use them at all, as I have said.

ScotSEN likes this.
  8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

mugs, but not ones that taper down to the base.

ScotSEN likes this.
  9. PussyGraves

You said you can't abide them. It appeared you do not understand their purpose.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I always used to favour a proper porcelain cup and saucer but can't be bothered these days. Just a good, sturdy mug. This one would do.

upload_2015-12-29_17-10-20.png

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Did it?

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

China mugs preferred for tea, any mug for coffee or bedtime milk drink, usually I ask - cup and saucer or mug? for guests, whichever they prefer.

ScotSEN likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

China mugs and cups only for me. I'm not fussy about much else but this.

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have got a v nice white bone china mug with my initial on and it really annoys me when other people use it.

rachelpaula008 and ScotSEN like this.
  16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I love a cup and saucer and was known for using such in school. It was a coffee 'can' type cup-vertical sides to save falling. It was my you-know-the-teacher-she's-the-one-with-the-cup-and-saucer recognition point until some stupid child dropped grapes on the corridor, I wandered along to a meeting with both hands full and ended up base over apex, flat on my front with my cup and saucer in kit form!!!

At home I use mugs for ease-mine is bone china and OH's is pot!

Lascarina likes this.
  17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This for coffee (shape NOT design)
    mug.jpg

But tea in one of these (again - shape NOT design)
    mugs.jpg

But definitely this if I have time for a proper cup of tea (preferably with cake ) at 3 pm ish 3569080_resp_medium.jpg

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  18. PussyGraves

Clearly when you said " I specially can't abide those teeny weeny coffee cups where you get barely more than a thimble full of coffee."
    How much espresso do you want, an old-lady's mugfull?

19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Mugs

I have lots of cheap ones coz I keep breaking them

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    These but the MUCH cheaper ones

Lascarina likes this.