1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cups for children's self assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyliv88, May 14, 2011.

1. amyliv88

amyliv88 New commenter

On a programme I watched the class teacher gave each child 3 coloured cups (red, yellow, green) and during the lesson the children changed the order of the cups depending on how they were feeling about the work (they were stacked up on the edge of the desk). Green- I understand and don't need help.Yellow- I'm struggling/could use help. Red- I need immediate assistance. This worked really well for the KS3 children (Yr8) in the programme. The teacher could see who needed help and go straight to them, however their work was almost always individual and the teacher didn't work with a group herself.
    I'm a student teacher and was considering trying to implement it in my Yr4 class. Any advice on this? Is it too fussy for children so young? Is it too disruptive? I've been told to stay sitting with the group I planned to sit with, dissuade children coming to me to ask something and to not get distracted from my group by other groups. But if I see a child's cup on red I'm obviously going to want to work with them otherwise the whole exercise would be moot...help!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't use it myself.

I want the children to be concentrating on learning and what they need to do next, not on whether they have the right colour cup showing.

If they have a breakthrough moment, I want them to run with it and keep going. Not stop to change from a yellow to green cup.

I also want them to talk to me and learn social skills. Not just swap their cup to red. Children need to learn when it is and isn't appropriate to interrupt a teacher and how to interrupt politely. They also need to learn how to solve problems by themselves. I would not want children in my class swapping a cup to red and then sitting and waiting until I could get to them.

3. I wouldn't introduce this as a student teacher. I think the novelty of it would be distracting for the children and there would be lots of playing with the cups! Also if you are working with a group you won't be able to leave to help the child with a red cup (who may just be looking for attention!) Stop occassionally and ask them to show you a 'fist of 5' or thumbs( up, middle, down) if you want to guage how they are getting on with the task. Encourage them to help each other if you are working with a group - 'ask three before you ask me' is good for fostering independence.

4. How does asking three mates then the teacher foster independence?