1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cups! Cups! Cups!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by glitterkid, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Ok, my boy has just turned one and is still drinking happily out of the tommee tippee 4 mth+ sippy cups. happened to be browsing in boots today and saw millions of cups - spouts, handles, no handles, straws.....
    He is quite annoying with the cups he has in that he flips the spout down constantly, but can;t flip it up. Also he loves throwing them around and if I have to mop the floor during his tea one more time I will squeal! It's not a major issue I know, but was wondering if he should be drinking out of one aimed at 12mths + now. Have recently discovered that he can drink with a straw.

2. Ok, my boy has just turned one and is still drinking happily out of the tommee tippee 4 mth+ sippy cups. happened to be browsing in boots today and saw millions of cups - spouts, handles, no handles, straws.....
    He is quite annoying with the cups he has in that he flips the spout down constantly, but can;t flip it up. Also he loves throwing them around and if I have to mop the floor during his tea one more time I will squeal! It's not a major issue I know, but was wondering if he should be drinking out of one aimed at 12mths + now. Have recently discovered that he can drink with a straw.

3. My lo is 17 months and still only drinks from the tommee tippee cups. She does manage sometimes to drink from an open cup but quite regularly tips the whole lot over herself. She can't drink from any of the other types of cup as she doesn't realise that she has to suck. I think whatever your lo wants is fine. If you want to get him another cup then that's up to you to decide which one you think he would like and would manage.

4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Give him a normal plastic cup if you want but be ready for spills! Otherwise there's loads with straws so less mess. Wouldn't worry bout what they 'should' do, as with walking etc it's at their pace, they all learn eventually.

5. I think I maybe haven;t worried about anyhting in a while so maybe I had to fret about something!
    Think I'll stick with the tommee tippee ones for a while. Phew!

6. My nephew has just turned 2 and was using the tommee tippee sippy cup. SIL was trying to get him to drink from a normal cup but he was tipping it too far over himself. I got her a doidy cup which is slanted so the LO can see the drink inside and is supposed to stop them tipping it up too far. I haven't seen her to find out if it worked but you could give it go? It wasn't expensive.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RBE6Q6/ref=asc_df_B000RBE6Q63916097?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000RBE6Q6

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was 2 in June and still uses the Tommee Tippee cups. Unfortnately he can open the bit you drink from, and he likes to tip water everywhere. He has a real obsession with it! So i bought him a Nuby one, that's more like a bottle, as it's no spill. Not that it helped because now he just gets water in his mouth and spits it everywhere! He can drink from a normal cup, but he chooses to tip it up and then play with the water.

8. I've seen the doidy cup around, i might look up some reviews, thanks moonbeam.

Chica, I think it was you who put me in the frame of mind to look at the cup aisle! I think babies just love water - mine went through a phase of taking the water into his mouth then dribbling it all out over himself. I caught him yesterday sitting with the cup upside down just watching the water pour over his trousers. He does try to drink bathwater, water fromt he shower head, water in the pool...fascinated!
    Soemone bought me a cup once with the sucky silicone spout but he just liked to pull it with his teeth. Might just stick with tommee tippee for a while and maybe investigate the doidy.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Haha so does mine! We have an plastic jug thing we use to wash my daughter's hair, and he was filling it up with water from his bath and drinking it! Gross!

10. Bath water is one thing.... swimming pool water is another. My 2 year old still drinks out of tommy tippie, she can drink out of a normal cup until she forgets and it all goes on the floor!