1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cupcakes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mancminx, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I quite fancy making some cupcakes later this week, but I'm not sure about the topping to use. Is it a butter cream or a frosting? Does anyone on here make thier own and if so what is the best topping to use and do you have a recipe for it?
    Thanks

2. I use Hummingbird Bakery vanilla frosting...
    250 g sifted icing sugar
    80 g room temperature unsalted butter
    25 ml whole milk
    a couple of drops of vanilla extract

Beat icing sugar and butter together and when it is well mixed add the milk and vanilla. With an electric mixer (otherwise it will take ages) beat quickly until it is light and fluffy; should take about 5 minutes, but the longer it is beaten the lighter it will be.

Frosts 12 cupcakes thickly, and a lot more if you don't want thick frosting.

3. Instead of the milk you could add orange or lemon juice ,and omit the vanilla, if you want a stronger flavoured icing.

4. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

Thank you very much for the above replies.

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

White chocolate cheesecake topping is my favourite. Consists of mascarpone, white chocolate, icing sugar and I'm sure some other bits I can't remember. Will dig out the recipe book and post again when I get around to rolling out of bed. Lazy days :)

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

You've probably already made them by now, but after a week of disorganisation and general forgetfulness here's the cheesecake topping:

Melt 175g of white chocolate and set aside to cool slightly. Beat together 175g mascarpone, 6 tablespoons creme fraiche, 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 6 tablespoons of icing sugar. Then beat in the melted chocolate. Should be enough to top 12 large cupcakes. Lovely with a strawberry on top!