1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cupcake icing- what is best?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nikkib_1986, Nov 29, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of baking some christmas tree cupcakes with green icing on the top. I'm a keen baker but have never iced before. Can anyone recommend a type of icing that would work best/ have a recipe they can share?
    Also any tips for the actual icing? I have piping bag and several nozzles to choose from.
    Thanks

2. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of baking some christmas tree cupcakes with green icing on the top. I'm a keen baker but have never iced before. Can anyone recommend a type of icing that would work best/ have a recipe they can share?
    Also any tips for the actual icing? I have piping bag and several nozzles to choose from.
    Thanks

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

My buttercream recipe:

50g butter
    50g trex/other veg fat
    200g icing sugar
    2-3 tbsp milk

and multiples thereof. The above does 12 cakes, but I always make extra if piping because it seems to use more. Using half butter and half trex makes it a bit less sweet and less melty (technical term!).

I'd then use green food dye to colour (I'm a massive fan of sugarflair gel colours - a little goes a long way and they keep for ages).

Would probably use a 1m nozzle for a big swirl (outside in) and then silver balls/stars to be baubles, or a 6B for a different effect - tighter swirl, could probably make the icing more conical/tree-like on top.

Hope that makes sense!

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Sorry, but that icing sounds disgusting ! Trex ????? And 200g icing sugar for only 12 cakes, sounds awfully sickly...
    The mind boggles at what some people deem nice to eat.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The mind boggles at how some people deem it fit to comment so disdainfully on other people's tastes.

6. cinnamonsquare

Landaise, I never liked the idea of trex in icing until I tried it. I also use only trex in my fairy cakes/cupcakes. It makes them much airier. Don't knock it til you've tried it - no complaints from any of my customers, most of whom are regulars.

It's these recipes which have made baking cakes a nice little side-business to teaching for me!

7. cinnamonsquare

Nikki, if you also don't like the idea of trex either, this recipe from the Primrose bakery is also very good:

115g butter
    60ml milk
    1tsp vanilla essence
    500g icing sugar
    Hope your cakes go well!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

If they taste half as nice as they look on the photo thread, then I'm sure they are absolutley delicious!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

My mind is boggling at the thought of a 1 metre icing nozzle!! I'm only used to the numbers used for royal icing piping!! And the large nozzles used for piping potato, cream and meringue.

10. Trex in butter icing is lovely, (it may sound disgusting to some, but trust me it is fine), it's just like crisco which is what American's use.