1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cup - sip or suck?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Dec 27, 2011.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

All I've read about introducing a cup to a baby says get one you sip from not suck but all the ones I see in the shops have the teats on for them to put in mouths and suck water out. I've seen the doidy cups but wondered of there was a sipping cup that transitioned from bottle to cup. I got a tommee tippee 1st cup to test and I had to suck hard to get water out, that can't be a good start to introduce sipping? Have I got the wrong idea of sipping and sucking?

2. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Doidy cups are great - but turn your back for 2 seconds and it's over them. You haven't said how old your little one is. I used Avent ones that initially had white spout that had a diaphram that made the baby suck and then a green one that had a freer fllow. These fitted to bottles. I think that the best cups are the "any way up " ones (can't remember manufacturer) which aren't too bad. tommy tipee either are impossible to suck or pour everywhere. If you want to teach sipping you can hold an open cup with them, sipping didn't seem to be a problem. It is the tipping it over and holding it upside down that causes problems!!!

3. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

So much to think about! She's 5 months so I'm getting ready for weaning - If I think ahead I don't get (too) stressed! I'm fine with the eating side it's just there are so many choices of cups it doesn't make it easy. I guess it'll be trial and error if a buy a few styles. Might try advent not tippee
    Cheers

4. I went through about a million cups when LO was that age! I use the free flowing tommee tippee ones with a flip spout which are a couple of quid. Yes, if they tip them up them the water comes out but it's only water, so it's not so bad. I remember thinking he was so rubbish at drinking from a cup as he'd only take a few sips and went through a spitting out phase but then I noticed he was drinking properly.

5. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

We've always used the free flowing ones- tommee tippee do a version which we had some of but boots do a great version where the spout is a bit bigger- he got the hang of that one first before he got the hang of the tommee tippee ones- the non spill ones (the sucky ones?) are supposed to be bad for their teeth but I guess if you only use them for a little while it doesn't matter. My LO can drink without a lid/with a doidy cup BUT when he's finished he throws it over his shoulder- fine in a cup with a lid but not so good with an open cup! Mil bought him a non spill cup for Christmas ( it has Mickey Mouse on it who he loves!) but I removed the non spill valve so its now like his other cups.

6. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

We used the tommee tippee free flowing ones which cost about £2. They are the best imo and I never tried to move up to the valve ones with my second as the valve ones are expensive and a faff to clean.

7. We use the free flowing ones too, we have a tomme tippee one with the flip up lid and one I bought from poundland too. She also now drinks from a straw but she was over 1 before she did that. I have to say I went through loads of cups and really worried that she wasn't drinking, but I don't think it matters particularly how muchwater they drink if they are still getting the milk, either breastmilk or formula.