1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cultural topics french aqa a2

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by hawkscay, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I have done Louis Malle (Au Revoir les Enfants and Lacombe Lucien) the last 2 years and I now looking for another interesting director, maybe with a more contemporary feel that would appeal more to the students. Any suggestions?

many thanks

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My colleague usually does Jean-Pierre Jeunet, if that helps. It always seems to go down well with the students and apparently there's a lot to talk about.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would support J-P Jeunet: Amélie and Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles are very good. I particularly like the latter. Délicatessen is interesting.
    I have started working on four Claude Berri movies which come in a nice boxed set from Amazon: Jean de Florette, Manon des Sources, Germinal and Lucie Aubrac. Not especially contemporrary though.

4. Personally, I love Bertrand Tarvernier. I've shown one of his films, Ca Commence Aujourd'hui (known in English as It All Starts Today), which they loved. It's about a nursery school headteacher in a very deprived area of northern France. Another of his films is Capitaine Conan. It's completely different, about the trial of some World War I soldiers.