1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cultural issues raised by the word Newbie

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, May 31, 2010.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Where did this disgusting word come from? Why are more and more clots using it on this forum. Are we being overrun by the French? To me it brings to mind California of the 60's and 70's but without the sanity of Manson or Bundy.
    I can just see all of those who call themselves this getting together and drinking tea, out of China, whilst talking naughtily during staff meetings. I shall have to make sure that it goes into questions for next years candidates, Do you know, or have you ever known, or are you a newbie? If the answer is yes then the applicant goes straight back to whichever primary school in Greenwich that they are applying from.
    I hope none of you are coming to my school next year beacuse if you are you are in for a shock!

Brickbats? Bring em on!
    Bring back life and real teachers.
    Perce
    PS. I do not have a Masters. But I too know when people are talking cr&p, amazing.

max5775 likes this.
  2. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Where did this disgusting word come from? Why are more and more clots using it on this forum. Are we being overrun by the French? To me it brings to mind California of the 60's and 70's but without the sanity of Manson or Bundy.
    I can just see all of those who call themselves this getting together and drinking tea, out of China, whilst talking naughtily during staff meetings. I shall have to make sure that it goes into questions for next years candidates, Do you know, or have you ever known, or are you a newbie? If the answer is yes then the applicant goes straight back to whichever primary school in Greenwich that they are applying from.
    I hope none of you are coming to my school next year beacuse if you are you are in for a shock!

Brickbats? Bring em on!
    Bring back life and real teachers.
    Perce
    PS. I do not have a Masters. But I too know when people are talking cr&p, amazing.

max5775 likes this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Perce, my dear chap, you are overstating the case somewhat. "Newbies" are simply teachers who are either (a) new to this wonderful and exciting forum or (b) new to the joys and the rigours of international education or (c) both.
    Yes, I suppose that this term "newbies" is a bit annoying and silly, but there we are!

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

'Newbie' doesn't cause much offence in my cool, dark, exquisitely decorated office, Perce, although I'd never use the word myself.
    I take the same attitude as to certain food, music, drugs or sexual practices: "Not at all my scene, but if it's what you like, then don't let me stand in your way".
    Now, 'vibrant'...
    'Vibrant' here, 'Vibrant' there, 'Vibrant' ev'ry forkin' where...
    That's a word which really does raise my blood pressure. There are many, many instances of the silly little six-letter spasm on this forum.
    Recently it's also been worming its way into letters of application: 'I have a vibrant personality' and 'there's a vibrant atmosphere in my clasroom'...
    ...straight into the bin.
    And try to read a travel guide to just about any urban area in the world without some breathless illiterate informing you that the city, its nitelife, its culture, its people are, like,.... 'vibrant'.

5. Dynamic, anyone?
    What about freebies? Just love freebies!

6. Have you ever seen Deal or no Deal with Noel Edmonds? They have a newbie every day as the contestants leave...is this where it is coming from?

7. Thought it meant 'nubile' only spelt wrong! Newbile? Newbie?

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Drinking tea out of anything at all is a disgusting practice which ought to be outlawed in civilized society.

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Yes. Another filthy word.
    Should be included on the list of words like ***, ***, and *** which automatically fall victim to the TES's censorious software.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Surprising prejudice in a Wigan man and a pillar of the Home Guard, sir.
    What liquid, pray, do you use to swell the stream of consciousness, to fertilise the fecund imagination, before sitting down to the keyboard of a morning?

11. For some obscure reasons I cannot pinpoint i feel that I am on the spotlight.
    I am a newbie...I am French.....I did my teacher training for primary in the borough of Greenwich,before moving overseas last year. The only difference between me and the description of a newbie in the first post is that I do not dring tea out of China, but I drink coffee in China.....Allez savoir!!!!

12. Oh dear! While I have never described myself or my classroom as vibrant, I have on occasion stated that I am looking to work in a vibrant school. Perhaps that is why I haven't been getting interviews.....

13. But according to your profile, you joined the forum in 2006!
    That makes you an oldbie, surely

14. waoh!!!! some people are so trusting!!!!!!!!!checking my profile!!!!!!!
    teacher training, one year supplying in london and I am finishing my first year as an employed full time teacher....
    am i a newbie then?

15. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I contribute to a Linux forum where it is abbreviated to "noob" and that truly makes my tea-drinking blood boil.

16. It says it under your name every time you post something. (as my Y9's would say: Durrrrrr)
    Same as it says when I joined under my name etc.
    Maybe my skills of observation are due to my great age, and the fact that I was taught to read everything carefully.[​IMG]

17. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

What about vibrant newbies?
    Oh come on, folks.This is getting silly.
    Where the hell are the TES moderators when you really need them?

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Not prejudice, alas. I discovered 25 years ago on sound empirical evidence that I'm literally allergic to the stuff. I'd like to claim that my breakfast-time eloquence was inspired by gin but java is nearer the mark. In a passing allusion to another thread, my MA dissertation was composed en la madrugada on wings of Malawi Ground, which is pure liquid tachycardia.

19. I take no offence at 'newbie'. I do dislike anyone who is English saying the word 'dude', however. Now that is sh7te.
    And one of our more cerebral members calls themself that.
    Cold shivers up me spine, that.

20. Do your Y9s put an apostrophe between the 9 and the s?
    Helmet on...