1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cultural Day ideas

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sbrown1604, Mar 12, 2017.

1. sbrown1604

sbrown1604 New commenter

Hello,

I'm looking for some German (or French ideas) for a cultural day for year 9 students... I have to teach the same session 3 times over a 5 lesson day (so each session should last about an hour and a half).

In terms of ability and motivation the group is very mixed so I'd like to move away from taster sessions and activities in the TL but really focus on the cultural side.

I was thinking about cooking some food, but the school only has one food room so it's unlikely that I could use it all day.

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

2. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Film shorts? if you search 'BFI Into Film languages' it should come up with a page with film short suggestions and teaching ideas. I think there are PowerPoints and worksheets you can download as well.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

An important 'event', which has just passed, is of course, 'Fasching'. So you could show some clips of Fasching (could do Mardi Gras in French too).
    Give some cultural background and the perhaps get groups to design and make a costume for a doll. At the end of the day you could have a mini parade and then display them?

4. sbrown1604

sbrown1604 New commenter

Thanks for the idea! Festivals are something we already cover in class, so we have just done the whole carnival season with them. I do like the design idea though! :)

5. sbrown1604

sbrown1604 New commenter

I like that idea, thanks. I'll have a look into it :)

6. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Hello thanks for replying. If you can't find what youre looking for, pm me and I'll send you something

sbrown1604 likes this.