1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cult of Outstanding

Discussion in 'Education news' started by 1EIREANN, Apr 21, 2018.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I'm curious.

I'm teaching in my 3rd school. Started in December. They appear to do formal lesson obs every halfterm. A few weeks ago, I, as well as all other teachers, was presented with a sealed envelope which was headed 'termly performance review' and which contained a grade from 1 to 4 (1 = outstanding and 4 = inadequate). This judgement was based on various criteria: data, lesson obs, behaviour audits, book scrutinies etc.

I have never experienced this before in my other 2 schools. We were never graded, either numerically or by a label. Is this common in schools?

Apparently it happens every term and I find it bizarre, but everyone else seems to accept it as the norm.

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

How patronising! OFSTED used to give individual teachers an envelope containing their grades for observed lessons. I have not heard of it since, though.

3. drek

drek Star commenter

Did they put their system of PM on their teaching job description? I wish schools had to put down what they do to teachers as part of the job description.
    That way OFSTEd could pay a visit and ask the leaders why they aren’t keeping up with the latest changes?

And .....It would make it so much easier to ignore some adverts!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I remember dropping my envelope in the bin unopened as I left the post observation interview with the inspector.

woollani likes this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

At my first OFSTED, nearly a quarter of a century ago (have we really suffered under this yoke for that long?), I cannot remember meetings of inspectors with individual teachers, just an envelope with a slip of paper marked,AFAICR; good, satisfactory, and unsatisfactory.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My meeting was as a post holder with the subject inspector. As the interview finished he handed me my envelope.

7. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

''A few weeks ago, I, as well as all other teachers, was presented with a sealed envelope which was headed 'termly performance review' and which contained a grade from 1 to 4 (1 = outstanding and 4 = inadequate).''

I think if I were in this situation I would be tempted to return the favour by anonymously posting a sealed envelope in SLT pigeon holes with a termly assessment of their leadership skills.
    This sounds like an extremely demotivating style of management - I can't imagine it produces positive attitudes towards the job in many staff.

Mrsmumbles and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Some SMTs think that effective management is feeding their staff a solid, choking diet of criticism!

9. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

I didn't manage to read all of your post but my word I do believe you make some very valid points about current expectations to deliver outstanding lessons. Sometimes in life it's not always realistic for children to be engaged and to make progress in every lesson. It stands to reason

Children are not robots and can' be programmed in that way.

I really do like your insight. I can feel your passion behind your words, the daily frustrations you must have felt during your teaching career and that Ofsted need to understand that it's an unrealistic expectation.

But there's just one thing you forgot m'dear.

The cult of being Absolutely Fabulous Darling! :D

10. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Out of their tiny minds? Ok I will stop now...lol