1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cult of Outstanding

Discussion in 'Education news' started by 1EIREANN, Apr 21, 2018.

1. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

Totally agree with both of the above posts, I did 26 years and realised that Teaching had nose-dived when OFSTED appeared on the scene , about 10 years into my career. The sheer panic it generated and misery across the board altered it for me, and I realised that those people teaching bottom sets would have a harder time than the "chosen ones" who taught the pleasant conformist type of children in Top Sets.Surprise, surprise they had better inspections!
    Glad to be out of it now!

MarieAnn18, Jamvic and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

They'd say it was copied and pasted from a 2016 web page http://www.learningspy.co.uk/learning/cult-outstanding/

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Does it matter if the children we teach know if a lesson is outstanding? Would they be able to tell the difference between a good lesson and an outstanding one? Probably not.

Children know when they've been part of something good, they can sniff out integrity like blood hounds and they know if they want to come back for more of the same. That's what matters. The rest really is just 'fluff' and nonsense.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:D Perhaps it took him a year to work out how to copy and paste so badly

snowyhead and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Thank you Hammie, that’s so lovely of you! You have to laugh, really. Ageism, sexism and bullying are alive and well in ‘teaching’ institutions now. Putting the emphasis there on the word’institution’....

hammie likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Gah, a former DH used to drone on about him constantly. I always think, about these edu-experts...do you teach yourselves? Because there’s a reason not many practising teachers write education theory books. Frisky. They’re too gullible to twig how much cash can be made from them by brain,ess aspirational SLT hoping to use them to justify the latest stupid idea. But mai LG, they’re too busy teaching kids to pen a pretentious book.

hhhh and snowyhead like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Exactly. Another poor copy and paste job. The way they repeat themselves..well, it defies Chaos Theory! Does anyone on here actually still trust and respect OFSTED?

9. Mrsmumbles

10. Mrsmumbles

Which is fantastic, really,as, thanks to this universal truth you have said about children, I’ve been able to reboot as a private tutor. Probably also helps that I can explain to these lovely but shortchanged kids how to spell ‘suddenly’, the correct use of ‘fewer’ and ‘less’, and can explain to them the main word classes and punctuation marks. Ah yes, the SATS. What a lot of timewastingly unsuccessful hot guff they are...

11. Mrsmumbles

Yes. Also a worrying amount of fee paying independents. Yet another reason for the increasing popularity of grammars.. no financial risks. The Tories have created a vicious circle of elisitist disastrous failure and nosediving. Then pass it off as policy success! Grrrrrr....

12. Mrsmumbles

Very interesting post. Steer clear of the independents as well! It’s all about the money, money, money.. How wise of thee places to bully and alienate their best staff so they leave, causing grades to bomb and funding to drop. Unless you can rig the grades, of course....Ooh, there’s a thought....

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

I’d never work at an outstanding school. Not worth the stress, notvreally oustanding. They need an extra clause at end of the label: ‘at getting through OFSTED. ATGO. Fabulous.

hammie, drek and colpee like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

I think that the places beyond outstanding are mental breakdown and death. Sorry mate!

drek likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

I know! I bypass any pretentious jobs peak like that. You’d think the school’s would know, but it’s total self brainwashing. They believe the lies. So Orwellian! Oceania is at war with Eastasia...no, sorry, it’s at peace. No, war. Peace. War! Let’s all go to the war ministry which we call the Ministry of Love...

16. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Argh! Had to dig out this thread again as my blood is boiling again.

WHY OH WHY
    do schools always ask for Ofsted grading on lesson obs for interviews/jobs etc
    I HAVE NEVER BEEN GRADED ON A LESSON, EVER! Just WWW and EBI.

If we were all OUTSTANDING, what the **** does the word even mean any more?!

drek likes this.
  17. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

18. Rivermill

Rivermill Occasional commenter

I've never known a job ad not ask for 'outstanding' or 'inspirational' or such like! Competent just doesn't seem to cut the mustard anymore. :p

Idiomas11 likes this.
  19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Out-outstanding? So they're not just out of the field, they're out of the...what?

20. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The way to make sure all teachers are outstanding is to issue them all with dayglo jackets.;)