1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CUBISM! any ideas appreciated

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by darcymay, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

I really didn't want to have to do this but I'm struggling and could do with some help! I'm a PGCE student and about to start teaching on my first placement when we go back on Monday. I have 7 SOW's to plan for a 6 week period and I just can't get any inspiration for my project based on Cubism!!!

It's for a Yr 8 group who have so far been introduced to a few cubist artists and have done a cubism research page. It's now up to me to take over the project for the next 6 weeks (1 hour per week) and take it in any direction I wish. The problem is my inspiration has completely dried up!!!

Has anyone done anything similar and can give me a few pointers that might spark off an idea?

Any ideas will be very much appreciated, I'm starting to get panicked now as time is getting on!

Thanks x x x

2. Forgot to mention that they have previously been looking at architecture within cubism!

3. www.nsead.org/ict/studies/ictac/ADL3Y8CubismLessonPlan.doc

on the NSEAD website there is a lesson plan based over 10 periods, for Yr 8's on cubism and (perspective etc..) Have a look for inspirtation. You could possibly take a few ideas and elaborate on them.

good luck x

4. Get hold of enough sheetsof acetate for all the students and the pens to write in them. Make card frames for the acetate so the syudents effectively have a giant viewfinder. Do drawings around the classroom or school by holding up the viewfinder and drawing directly on to itwith the ohp pens.
    Cubist images showlots of different views on one canvas so you could group the students and get them to trace or project each other drawings on to one canvas/page or you could get them to swap acetates and draw a new view over the top. you could combine close up and far images.
    You could make them huge and project the actetates on to really large/several pieces of paper - once traced out the paper could be split up so students could work on individual sections

Another thing I have done with y8 is worked with loads of photos of a still life( could be any subject matter) again shot from different angles - close and far etc then cut and pasted sections in photoshop and played around with the cut out and other filters to create a digital cubist picture. You could have this as an end result or a starting point, you couldscan in drawings and mrege with the photos

5. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennodekroon/sets/72157594337935243/
    for an unusual artist to look at.....

6. Thanks for your ideas, love the eggcubism I wonder if it would work with year 8's.............

7. Hello, I am a fellow PGCE student. I am teaching a year 9 cubist project, and I'm gonna be transforming their drawings and collages into 3D cubist sculptures.
    Simple shapes cut out of thick card, with slots and connected together to make an abstract form. would work really well with the architectural theme.... look up some cubist sculptures, they are really fun! (Picasso, Lipchitz)
    Good luck!

8. one idea is to use small sheets of tracing paper, set up a simple still life in the middle of the table or tables depending on the room set up and the students draw from one angle using one sheet of tracing paper; keeping it to just outlines. Then after a few minutes move to another seat on the table and on the next piece of tracing paper draw the same still life from that angle and depending on time move again and draw it from a third viewpoint. Then using a slightly larger piece of tracing paper get them to overlap their previous drawings and draw all the lines they see on the fourth piece of tracing paper so that the different viewpoints are on one sheet.Next lesson if you can photocopy and enlarge the image on that piece of tracing paper from A4 to A3 (141%) or even more if you enlarge from A5 to A3, onto a good piece of cartridge paper.The students can then work on their instant cubism picture in colour using paint or oil pastels.It is time consuming in getting little pieces of tracing paper together and then playing around with the photocopier to get the right size but the photocopies do look impressive and you can get some good results. A good cubist powerpoint is one by an art teacher called N Gardiner which explains various aspects of Cubism. I found it looking for examples of ICT in art.

9. Try this >

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6005522

10. Hi, I know you wrote your comment a while ago but it sounds really great! I don't suppose you have any images of the final outcome as I would like to teach it too.
    Thanks!