1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cubase SX problems with getting sound

Discussion in 'Music' started by pagmusic2012, Jan 25, 2012.

1. We have been using Cubase SX v2 on PCs of a similar age in a suite with twelve computers. Despite setting up a default with all the audio settings saved, students find they have to re-enter these when they load and even then, get a load of varied error messages preventing them from getting sound out themselves. They know how to re-set up the Inspector Column but even this does not solve anything permanently. Does anyone have a long-term solution for this? I would be most grateful to hear of one.
    Thanks

2. We have been using Cubase SX v2 on PCs of a similar age in a suite with twelve computers. Despite setting up a default with all the audio settings saved, students find they have to re-enter these when they load and even then, get a load of varied error messages preventing them from getting sound out themselves. They know how to re-set up the Inspector Column but even this does not solve anything permanently. Does anyone have a long-term solution for this? I would be most grateful to hear of one.
    Thanks

3. tanbur

tanbur New commenter

I've been faced with similar problems when using versions of Cubase on a network. If anyone has a solution it would very useful to read about it.
    In the meantime I set up a successful default page using each computer as a standalone. Students can use a different login for access to the school Intranet.

4. I'm not familiar with Cubase but, as a bit of generic advice, have you tried saving all your settings within a default 'song' file and using that as your launchpad template, so to speak. I have used this in other systems.

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I have stated many times that in my experience difficulties with cubase have been overcome by being free of the network.
    Re-working the def.all set-up will help if there are particular topics/start points you wish to teach.
    Long term solution:
    Buy macs and keep off the network! [​IMG]
    Only use a local network for sharing files.

6. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I have done this in the past, and it worked fine - although I never used student computers to record audio.

I would always create a project with the instruments already set up, including any stimulus parts - like the ground bass if I was ripping off Pachelbel... I would save it to the pupil drive, then they could open, save it to their folder and get busy..

7. Thank you for all of your comments.
    Yes, whilst I am investigating Macs as a matter of routine upgrade to our resources, yes, I do use a default file which students access and yes, it does appear to be a network issue. I will reccommend our technicians take us off, set up a music only network and see what response I get!

8. I have the same problem. I have Cubase on ten machines but some of them have stereo audio devices attached and other have midi interfaces or keyboards with USB. I though my solution - of creating templates for the different types of set up would work. It does on the computer I set it up on - it loads and runs fine every time. However, if you create work on one set up and move it to another - the audio just won't work. Especially when we transfer anything to the studio with the 16 track interface - it is just not recognised.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem - but it is frustrating.

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

You will only want a local network to share files and different def.all files.
    The move to macs is aspirational. Well done.
    I have the luxury of working in a small unit with both PC's and Macs,
    Qute simply the macs never let me down. They are pounded all day and still look as good as new!
    Good luck. I hope your ICT techies free you of the network.
    As they are control freaks it may not be easy!