1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crumbling teeth

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 16, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi folks. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow for root canal treatment and, later on, crowns built and (lots of) fillings done [​IMG]. I've always had good, attractive teeth and I now have the guilts for not having looked after them to the best of my ability.
    A few months ago a tooth of mine crumbled, hence the treatment tomorrow, and last night the same thing happened with another tooth ... same tooth on opposite side of mouth. This makes 3 crumbled teeth in the last few years.
    My diet isn't always the best (lots of sweet things, especially over the festive season) and I'm guessing that this has to be part of my dental problem.
    Have any of you experienced this? I'm 36 years old. Feeling a bit down about it, but determined to sort myself out and start taking care of myself better physically.
    Thanks for reading.

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

oh and any tips to stop this happening further would be most appreciated - will obviously cut down on sugar. My dentist is nice enough but not particularly communicative.
    Thank you :eek:)

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Why are your teeth crumbling? This sounds an unusual condition to me.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Do you grind yout teeth or clench your jaws tight whilst you sleep? This is a common problem, and you can have a biteguard made which will take the pressure off the actual teeth (grinding / clenching can cause the teeth to crack if left unchecked).

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I'm not sure nelly, but I was chewing something on two occasions ... [​IMG]

6. I haven't personally - but a friend of mine was an absolute sugar addict. In the end her annual dental checkups became six-monthly checkups.
    (When I say addict, we got to the point where, when I went and stayed at hers, she bought a box of sugar cubes for my tea/coffee and I had to keep it in my room. And then I'd pack it to take home after my 2-3 days. If it'd been in the kitchen she would have just scoffed the lot.)

7. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

But your teeth would only crumble if they had decay in surely? I mean, they are quite hard are teeth.
    Mine aren't. But I avoid things like er, anything with bits in.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I have crumbly teeth, dentist says it is due to an over-fondness of sugary food from a very young age. She also tells me nobody over the age of 50 should ever eat nuts. The last time I broke a tooth it was on a piece of French bread!

9. I had all my teeth crowned in my twenties because the enamel was very crumbly and badly stained due to me being given large doses antibiotics as a baby (Tetracycline I think). I had fillings every time I visited the dentist in my teens and early twenties and my teeth were a greyish colour. It took me a while to pluck up the courage to have the crowns done but they saved me from losing my teeth.

10. I have had this with my teeth. It is to do (so I believe) with problems with calcium. When my mum was pregnant with me she struggled with calcium levels and this was passed on to me and so when my first "baby" teeth came through a number were rotten and had to be removed!
    When my adult teeth came through I had loads of fillings very early on despite really good oral hygiene and not daring to eat anything with sugar. The dentist made me keep a food diary to record the sugary food I ate and they couldn't understand why my teeth were so soft.
    I also found out a few years ago that I grind my teeth in my sleep and was given a mouth guard to help out but the damage has been done.
    I have always hated my teeth but have accepted it's not my fault they are so soft. Even an ex dentist told me that it's often genetic reasons for why people have weak teeth.
    (oh and I am allergic to regular toothpaste too - can only use Kingfisher)
    If I won the lottery I would have a full set on dental implants. [​IMG]

I would

11. Same here fretless, for the same reason, though sadly nobody suggested crowns to me and a number of my teeth have now disintegrated. I'm late 40s and worrying about dentures!

12. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I seem to be predisposed to needing lots of fillings. I don't have a sweet tooth (pardon the pun) so don't have lots of sugar (not a daily occurence, maybe once a week I have something sugary). Almost every time I visit the dentist, I need a filling of sort; just small ones, but very frequent, nonetheless.
    My dentist prescribed me some extra strong fluride toothpaste. It's 5000ppm and costs around £6.20 per 50g tube. It's expensive, but it certainly seem to have strengthened them up a bit. I also use an electric toothbrush with floss action head.

13. My teeth have always been weak and prone to this sort of thing. Dentist can't offer me much in the way of help apart from "quit the sugary stuff, get a good flouride mouthwash and you're up to 3 monthly checkups." I've never had a good experience in dentists since childhood because of it - meaning I have a massive dental phobia (I can now sit in the chair and have a filling, but I'll sob like a baby and shake when doing so and it's taken me about 5 years and lots of pain to get to that level).
    On the other hand my husband's got a very laid back attitude to brushing his teeth when he remembers and just escaped again from his checkup without anything at all needing doing... genetics HAS to play a decently large part too.

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone.
    Dreading my treatment this morning but not because of the pain, I'm simply mortified that since seeing her on Friday, another tooth has crumbled!
    The work I need done in my mouth is going to cost about a grand [​IMG]
    Ho hum, I need to learn from this and look after my teeth much better. I do brush regularly but have never flossed in my life [​IMG]
    Don't think I'm a teeth grinder as Mr Tarte would have said something over the years. I wonder if your teeth go to pot to some extent after you've had children though, as I've heard they're stripped of calcium during pregnancy.
    Still, like Lardylegs, I've no doubt that it's mainly due to my overindulgence with all things nice and sweet!