1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cruciate ligament ruptures (ACL/PCL)

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Tigger1962, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Anyone with experience of rupturing the ACL and PCL? How long did it take for them to heal?
    Does anyone have experience of non-surgical treatment - which is the approach that my doctor is currently taking

2. Ouch!
    Haven't got experience of ruptured ACL or PCL but I did manage to twist mine and really aggravate the knee. Took me 3 weeks to be able to walk without any support from crutches and 4 months on I still can't walk 'properly'. Am having some intensive physio to try and sort things out before being referred to MSK surgeon.
    Take it easy and make sure you really follow the advice and carry out exercises etc regularly.

3. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

At the moment I am in the middle of being imobilised in a case for 10 weeks as the knee joint is so unstable that it bends in both directions (also damage to the meniscus, side ligaments and a broken leg!!)
    Spent 2 weeks in hospital before being released with a wheelchair, zimmer frame and a loo frame!

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Oh my goodness, I'm cringing for you. I'm so sorry for you.....absolutely horrible thing to happen! The description is making me feel ill, so cannot imagine how horrible it is for you.
    Get well soon. I'm sure it will be frustrating, but remember that you must take great great care. I'm sure you know this.
    I've heard it said that the earliest return to competitive sport after this injury is 6 months. For footballer, this injury is often a career finisher. Obviously, your doctor will advise. Do you need to have surgery? I'd have probably thought anything between 3 and 6 months to get you on your feet and strong again, although probably longer before back to full fitness.
    Take care. Get well soon.

5. Hi

I had surgery on my ACL reconstructed in November!! What has your doc said, I am interested as I have found a new lease of life since my surgery!

Mg

6. Wow it really sounds like you've been through a tough time!!

My surgeon said my ACL was 100% torn and no way was the body goingto repair it so I had no other choice apart from surgery.It has been well worth the disruption as my knee is feeling stronger than ever!! The physio sessions are very intense but I really feel they are working and I get invaluable advice!
    If you are sat surfing you may have come across kneegeeks/kneeguru website? This gave me so much help pre and post op and I still use it regularly. It might be worth a look as alot of people post regualrly with a full range of injuries!
    MG