1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Crossings out when marking definitions

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by cwingle, Mar 24, 2017.

1. cwingle

cwingle New commenter

Typically, at A-level if the exam question asks for a definition and the student has neatly crossed out a key word but it is still clearly legible can you give the mark?

Example: The mark scheme specifies blah blah nuclear force blah blah and the candidate writes blah blah nuclear force blah blah
    but nuclear has a line through it. Would you give the mark? I always thought no but after reading the guidelines again not so sure and just want to check.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Difficult to say without seeing the example. Examiners are encouraged to give students the benefit of doubt. However, I am guessing that you are marking mocks. I would tend to be harsh then to encourage students not to be sloppy in the real thing.

a good way to get the best feel of this is to actually mark for the exam board.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

The rules on what to do about crossed out work do vary but usually examiners have to ignore what a candidate has crossed out.

wanet likes this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Depends on what principal examiner thinks but this changes with different exam groups. I would give them the mark provided they have not offered an acternative answer.

wanet likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Edexcel/Pearson say you should mark crossed-out work unless there is a clear replacement for it. So if the candidate writes "Paris is the capital of France" and crosses out Paris, they score the mark. If they replace Paris with Berlin, they don't.

wanet likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have they replaced "nuclear force" with "force"?
    To me, the crossing out suggests that they have decided against it being a nuclear force, or that they aren't sure and are hoping that "force" hedges their bets.