1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cross Rail

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Apr 18, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you're waiting for a train I'd take a good book if I were you.

Why does everything take forever in this country ?.

Take Stonehenge for example - they couldn't even be a***d to put the roof on.

It's a good job British workers didn't build the Great Wall of China - they wouldn't have finished it yet.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Login next week for the answer

Vince_Ulam and needabreak like this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Well...it doesn't if you live in the South east.... though your frequent peak time trains might be packed. Of course the denizen workers needed by the SE wealthy have to get to their place of employment. However ....live in the North, North East or heaven help you the East Anglia area you can forget trying to travel by public transport. From here (NW) it is almost impossible to travel to Cambridge and beyond. In addition they have realised that offering nice cheaper train fare deals for us plebs in the north isn't desirable at all so fares have soared up. Of course it is a huge mistake to try and travel by coach or car as the motorway system is impossibly clogged.
    Do we have many British workers left? To have workers we have to have industries to employ them and.... we don't seem to have them anymore. The 'jobless figures' we are told month on month have improved.... quite why we should celebrate poor people having to come off benefit to have zero hour contracts at Costa etc to become coffee baristos on fewer than living wage hours I just don't know....

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

While I lived in the States and Canada I travelled thousands of miles by coach.

A couple of years ago when I temporarily didn't have a car I made the mistake of going from Cambridge to Scarborough by coach.

I got back yesterday.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Established commenter

Arguably, many of those denizen of workers are the wealthy going to their place of employment.

6. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

What we need is a high speed inter city train service. Just cut out all the country except London, Birmingham and Manchester. The toffs on the train won't be able to throw crusts out to the rest of us riff raff though. No windows.
    Try getting from Leeds to York? Ha ha ha.
    Leeds by the way is the 10th worst city in the world for deaths from traffic pollution. Don't know how that's been worked out but, cough, cough, I think it might be true. I blame Bradford. And the fact that the bus services are just an urban myth.

colpee likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Leeds is a cesspit - always has been.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ooh controversial. But it has been said that if Planet Earth had piles, Birmingham is where they would be found.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Birmingham is an urban paradise compared to Leeds

blazer likes this.
  10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

We should be more like the Chinese, turn Leeds into a reservoir for the south east and relocate its population to a new location in Lincolnshire

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What has Lincolnshire done to deserve that? Some parts of Lincolnshire are really nice.

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Crossrail was first proposed in about 1946 as part of the Abercrombie plan . The 'Crossrail' name for the project was first coined in 1974. So London has actually had to wait a bit for it to arrive. Another 18 months delay wont make much difference.
    Still, agree that massive investment is needed for the North.

irs1054 likes this.
  13. burajda

burajda Star commenter

It will provide plenty of work and if we want to improve our growth and infrastructure like the Chinese have then its got to be worth it. Theres lots of space in Lincolnshire and its flat, so easy to build on and as many believe climate change is a lie, then theres no risk of flooding at all.

irs1054 likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Definitely not true!

There's no league table of deaths that I know of - it's hard to specifically link and individual's death to something that specific - but Leeds traffic air pollution is so far down the world listing you'd need a telescope to see it...

Pollution can be calculated in different ways, but see this for example

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/datablog/2017/feb/13/most-polluted-cities-world-listed-region

15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I was at Uni in Leeds in the late 70s and loved the place.

16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The A46 bypass starting at Newark that was finished a few years ago was first mooted in 1938, it only got done because the Government needed to spend some money at the end of the accounting period and needed a project ready to go and costed with the same figure.

The third crossing at Lowestoft that has just been given the go ahead (and money) was apparently first mooted in the 1920s so will probably be born just in time for its own centenary.

There are probably dozens of projects that should be done but haven't been.

The flat bits of Lincolnshire are mainly solid clay. Ground heave makes life very difficult. Also we live right next to Forty Foot Drain and although we are technically not part of the flood plain and at low risk, who knows what Global Warming will do,.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lincolnshire - the land that time forgot.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Lincolnshire people are very welcoming to outsiders, Im sure a few immigrants from Yorkshire wont make much difference to the local culture especially as they kind of speak the same language.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Thatcher came from Lincolnshire

20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Were you being sarcastic?