1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cross curricular teaching of ICT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anotherfinemess, Dec 19, 2011.

1. anotherfinemess

anotherfinemess New commenter

I have to say that the most effective thing I do is use my wireless keyboard for shared writing on the IWB. All the children have their mini whiteboards and can write a bit, while I can really model the editing process as well as passing the keyboard round.

As for the children using it... Photostory is BRILLIANT for Phase 2, where children are looking into structure of texts and practising the genre's style. Get them to take (or download) a photo for each paragraph, put it in the software, then use a microphone to record what they want to say. Great and simple ICT where the technology doesn't get in the way.

Another great thing I do is Audacity (sound recording) for the same purpose - gives a purpose for speaking and listening and is a great point between the reading and the writing. I tried doing it with MovieMaker and video clips, but in that case the technology did rather take over and I ended up calling it an ICT project (which was a good thing in itself).

A simple digital camcorder, of course, with no computer at all, can be just as useful for recording S&L work.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think now! Never try animation in a Literacy lesson if you want to get any Literacy learning done! Playing with plasticene is just too much fun!

2. I like to get logins for all pupils [1] in Xtranormal then do dialogue through animated characters!
    [1] best done beforehand and checked if working. They need one each.
    Look here
    Don't bother with the education bit - that costs money - the free bit is fine.

And scratch is fab for story telling, recount, dialogue, etc
    look here

You need to experiment yourself first, so you know how they work.

3. Great ideas..thanks!

I'll definitely try some of those out in the new term..especially the wireless keyboard - what a great idea!