1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cross curricular Shakespeare now Tudors have gone?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TARPS, Dec 2, 2015.

1. TARPS

TARPS New commenter

Hi all,

we teach a themed curriculum and I love delivering my Shakespeare unit to year 5 and 6, but in the past I have linked this with History to work on the Tudors but now that Tudors are out does anyone have suggestions on hist/geog links I can make? could I still do Tudor explorers and Spanish Armada as 'significant British event?'

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I would count the Armada as a "significant turning point in British History"! I would however focus less on the explorers and more on the impact of the Armada/religious divisions etc. Are you anywhere near Stratford? If so, it could also count as a local history topic.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Where have the Tudors gone?!! What's more significant (***!) than the break with Rome?

How about Macbeth and James 1? *

* Very sorry for intruding! I am a) not primary and b) no longer a teacher! :D

4. TARPS

TARPS New commenter

Thanks Carrie - I'm going to have to do some swotting up now - we're in Lancashire, so not close enough for stratford.

GLsghost - that's a good point - could explore that link a little more

thank you both

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, perhaps Shakespeare made a trip north:D

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Remember the NC is minimum content there's nothing to stop you coving the Tudors as long as you also cover stat bits.

7. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

Do Julius Caesar with Romans topic - fantastic.

8. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

New contributor ???? What ? I've been wasting time on these forums for about 10 years !

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Study Henry V and have Agincourt as the significant event.
    Or do The Tempest and link to geography and RE.
    Or just study the plays as a literacy unit?
    Or run a Shakespeare club?