1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cross Curricular planning in year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Suggsi, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Suggsi

Suggsi New commenter

Hello - i am new to year 5 this year and we as a school are now being asked to produce topic webs for our half term planning - links to all other subjects -

my next 'topic' is Ancient Greeks - does anyone have any plans for topic grids i can have a look at - or any ideas on how to do this quickly as i feel it will take me forever to produce this?

Thanx

2. I'm in year 2 but do topic across the curriculum. We have a copy of the breadths of study from the curriculum that we go through and highlight and create activities around them. I'll send you my topic map to have an idea of what I did. Once I get going I can get in done in under an hour and then it's really easy to pick off bits for my planning.

3. I tried to edit my last post but didn't work grr. I can email you my planning if you want to get an idea how I set it out. Our current topic is 'Pole to Pole' with a Geogrpahy theme looking at Antarctica and the Arctic, Inuit people, weather, animals etc. We then fit all the other subjects around it. The children love it and I enjoy planning and teaching it!

4. I've taught Ancient Greece in year 5 and found it the easiest to link to other subjects. eg, Literacy - Myths and Legends. History - Ancient Greece, Geography - Using an atlas to identify climate, terrain etc. D&T - Moving monsters (linked to the Myths and Legends), Art - Pottery and Science - Earth, Sun and Moon.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but i'll see if I can dig out one of my old topic webs.

5. Suggsi

Suggsi New commenter

Thank you what a relief to know others do i without it taking a really long time

My email is suggsi@aol.com

6. you've got mail : )

7. I may of been a bit eager with under an hour but I get it done in a PPA session. it gets easier thinking of ideas as you go along and once you've done it that's you're half term planning done. my head has also said that I don't need to bother with daily plans now because I have enough detail in my map.

8. Suggsi

Suggsi New commenter

Thank you all very much - great starting points and a great view to what the end product should look like

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Really?? This sounds very unlikely.

10. Hi Midgit_gem, your planning sounds great and I am thinking of doing an Antarctica topic...would you be able to send me your planning too?
    My email is helenevans_1989@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you! x

11. yes, really.

12. Helen you have mail [​IMG]