1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cross Curricular Media Day....Ideas please???

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by brokenangel, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    The school that I am currently employed in is going to be running a cross-curricular media day this year, and we've been asked to come up with ideas for activities. So far we've decided to make a multimedia 'magazine'. Activities we've thought of so far are:
    - Reporting / creative writing (English link)
    - Interviews and questionning (again, English)
    - Graphic design / DTP
    - Picture / video editing
    Does any one have any suggestions on other activities we could do? I should mention that this event will be for Y8s.
    Thanks in advance
    B.A

2. ICT through History section, earliest written text, moveable type press, telegraph/phone/internet may be cool. Sorry this is quick and ill conceived.

3. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

All depends the subject you're working with and the topic they are pursuing. We've just had an industry day where we put media as an option. So we had 10 kids go around filming activities, asking questions of participants, trainers, and me. They then edited the work and we'll put it on the web site for parents to see (if I OK it first).
    Don't forget. media is more than a printed newsletter, you could look at interactive magazine (allowing people to see video clip of story), video reports, podcast, vodcast, etc

4. apapa

apapa New commenter

We ran something very similar last Nov. Although it was for Y11.
    We ran the following three workshops:
    1) Psychology of advertising and then creating persuasive print adverts.
    2) Propaganda and political leanings of the media.
    3) Case study and debate about freedom of the press. Looked at lots of case studies e.g. Watergare, NoW Paedophile Campaign, Wikipedia etc.