1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cross curricular cooking?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vegaslady, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Hi
    We are very lucky to be having a new kitchen being built over the summer, funded by PTA to accomodate 6 children at a time cooking with a ta. However, PTA are concerned it won't get used often enough with just DT food happening. I have assured them we'll be cross curricular cooking and now i just need to convince the other staff that we can cook in any qca based topic in any subject!
    So far,
    Victorians - gingerbread xmas decs
    Normans - eggy bread
    Ancient Greeks - moussaka, greek salad etc

Any more? please help me compile a detailed list!!

Vegas

2. Hi
    We are very lucky to be having a new kitchen being built over the summer, funded by PTA to accomodate 6 children at a time cooking with a ta. However, PTA are concerned it won't get used often enough with just DT food happening. I have assured them we'll be cross curricular cooking and now i just need to convince the other staff that we can cook in any qca based topic in any subject!
    So far,
    Victorians - gingerbread xmas decs
    Normans - eggy bread
    Ancient Greeks - moussaka, greek salad etc

Any more? please help me compile a detailed list!!

Vegas

3. Forget all those silly pointless subjects... The most important one is MATHS...

From Foundation Stage to Year 4 it is easily the best way to teach measures and scales, even fractions of numbers. Doesn't matter what you cook if you have to weigh or measure anything.
    Even better if you can use a measuring jug.

And time... How could I forget that.

4. Sorry Vegaslady for my rant, but I have been arguing for ages to allow me to release pupils for cooking woth a parent or TA as it would be of massive benifit for Literacy (Instructional Texts) but as maths co-ordinator for Maths. Pupils who did small group cooking performed when reading scales or measuring jugs, as they could see a practical application.

5. Don't worry about ranting! I have cooked every year for instructions! Should have written it on my list! And maths is so obvious, I can't believe I didn't put it on too!
    Thanks
    Vegas

6. instructions literacy - endless cooking to be done, why not collect flora cooking with schools and have a healthy eating cooking club? our school grows own veg and fruit and cooks with it.
    year 5 make smoothies (think again its instructions but could be healthy eating etc)
    summer fayre etc cakes/sponges/ginger bread
    sure theres loads more...think think!!!

7. Yes, definitely lots of maths - you can cover measures, number work, fractions, ratio and proportion so right through the school.
    Science - changing materials activities.
    History - every period of history could have cooking links.
    Geography / RE / PSHCE - food from different cultures.

8. Hi all, thanks for replies so far but I would really like some very specific dishes that link to tpoics so i can say 'here, this is exactly what you could do' to some of our more difficult staff!
    Vegas

9. Is it ks 1 and 2 ?

10. Whole primary school. Thanks.

11. A few ideas, hope they help
    History - WW2 - carrot cookies and cakes made with potatoes! - linked to rations and therefore also good for numeracy links
    Geography -Tocuaro - fajitas, refried beans, tacos etc
    Struay -shortbread
    Science - changing materials -jelly, chocolate crispy cakes
    -rock and soils - I think it might be on the TES somewhere where someone used chocolate and other things to represent different types of rocks
    Modern Foreign languages -could do dishes for whichever country's language you teach e.g. crepes for France, tapas -Spain
    R.E. - foods linked to festivals e.g. Passover, Eid, Easter etc

12. Our reception do lots of cooking in Fairy tale and nursery rhyme topic Queen of hearts - Jam tarts, cakes for little red riding hood, porridge for goldilocks, lots of things for sleeping beauty or cinderella's feasts, etc etc.
    We make soup and fruit salad in relation to Oliver's fruit Salad and Oliver's Vegetables books, bread for Great Fire of London, Sandwiches in seaside / Lighthouse Keepers lunch topic. Jelly melting chocolate rice crispie cakes in changing materials, biscuits can be made in any shape for any topic with KS1! We do seasonal cooking pancakes, easter nests etc. If I have anymore ideas I'll add them, all KS1
    I'm afraid. We have 3 classes and one Baby belling which wheels into our classrooms and luckily for us parental helpers.

13. amt

amt

How about the social curriculum, listening sharing cooperating, and heaven forbid enjoyment, literacy numeracy, cooking covers all aspects of the curriculum. I used to have my pupils run a cafe, they planned, shopped, budgeted, served etc etc etc, earned money to do it all again, increased self esteem confidence and their learning skills.

14. My favourite is making pancakes to use in Block E unit 2 Fractions. making some simple equivalent cards , then cutting up the pancakes to match. The most enjoyable part is eating them afterwards. A sure fire winner

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Is cooking still part of DT? I thought that was gone, and good riddance to it too.

You only mention food in terms of history [and who says the ancient Greeks ate moussaka?] so your idea of cross-curricular is pretty limited. There have been some excellent suggestions here, but I'll just one more: breadmaking.
    Sit down with a scrap of paper, write down each curriculum area and sribble down the links with making bread. I bet you could do this in your sleep. Real curriculum links, not tenuous-to-the-point-of-bogus historical ones either, but links sound enough to convince even the most sceptical PTA person.

16. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We do simnel cake at Easter and the obvious Easter nests with the younger children.

We do cooking when we look at other cultures, Samosas and vegatable curry when doing India.

We also use our kitchen for the cookery club.

There are quite a lot of lesson plan for Tudor banquets.

When I taught Nursery, we used to cook every 2 weeks, so maybe your early years would be encouraged.

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Cooking in EYs is fantastic for English, Maths and Science. We also do lots of food from other cultures for PSE (celebrations) staying healthy