1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cropped trousers - or not...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by clear_air, May 24, 2011.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

OK, so. Here it is. I haven't worked as a teacher for a while, and only started teaching again inJanuary. Consequently my work wardrobe is woeful, and any clothes that might have been worky when I bought them are looking very tatty these days.
    Have 25% off at my favourite catalogue, and my question is this - do I get the cropped trousers??? Even though they are in a rather dark caramel, and will have to get some other top-type to go with them.....
    Decisions, decisions.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

For work? No!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've been in work in my cropped trousers today. Dark grey Fat-face ones.
    We can get away with murder in our place though!

4. Cropped trousers are worn at our school (secondary)

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Eeek! What's wrong with crops? What happens when it's too hot for long trousies (yeah, I know), and don't feel like skirts? Am in sartorial trauma!!

6. Loads of our staff wear cropped trousers including SLT. Some of our teachers wear jeans!

7. [​IMG] We're not allowed, they are on the 'strictly forbidden' list of clothing that's been prescribed, and I'm in good old hip 'n' trendy FE!
    Tailored cropped trousers are fine aren't they? On some people (me) cropped trousers aren't all that short anyway. I wear them lots because it saves having to take up the hem on normal trousers.
    Poeme aka short arrse

8. Why does it matter what you wear?
    Respect is more than clothing deep!

9. That's a cute comment!

10. My former HT would wear uggs in winter and crocs in summer!

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I think it depends on the phase and the type of school. I wouldn't wear cropped trousers as I feel that they are inappropriate and it doesn't set the children a good example.

12. lilachardy

Leggings for school?

What happened to professional standards?!
    Whilst I don't wear a suit, I wear clothes that are effectively a suit with no jacket. I thought this was the norm!

13. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hmm. I think I may have missed the boat with the crops I wanted (smart, navy blue, look nice with a pair of coloured pumps, and funky cardy), so maybe will consider getting a dress...buuuut then again, i may be in the region of Y3 next term, and I don't want my nice things getting trashed. Maybe I'll save my pennies ... or maybe I'll get something funky to wear at home. Sigh. Th esartorial dilemmas brought about by birthday money in May...

14. lilachardy

I didn't know the dress code in primary was "funky"!

15. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I used to wear leggings all the time with dresses/skirts - far more resilient than tights.

16. In my book crops aren't leggings. I do think they're different things. I still don't understand why showing a small proportion of ankle is not 'professional'? Are the people saying this against skirts that show ankles?

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Nah, it's not. It's dinstinctly sensible. I was musing upon the option of not bothering to get anything for school, and in fact buying something distinctly un-sensible for home. Which of course would be a very good plan, because now that I'm back at work what I really need is more clothes that will sit in th ewardrobe waiting for the weekend...[​IMG]

18. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

don't want the children having a funny turn at the sight... perhaps floor length skirts and corseted waists would be more the thing.

19. lilachardy

Nobody said leggings were cropped trousers.
    I would have thought that proper trousers were appropriate rather than funky fashion wear.

20. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

*whispers* for funky read 'nice' - or colourful/flattering/a pleasure to wear. Cardigans aren't really funky, are they? I wasdistracted by the idea of buying an inappropriate party dress I wil rarely wear for my non-existant party-life, now that I know that cropped trousers aren't allowed...